Monday, July 6, 2009

Arrivals


Today we had some exciting arrivals!

First, a well-packed box from Heart of Dakota Publishing was delivered to our door by the local postman (who happens to be the sweetest older man, by the way). I waited until dinner was cleaned up and Aubrey was down for the night before opening this package since I knew I would be rather absorbed once I started exploring its contents.

Photobucket

This year, I'll have 1st and K students (in other words, totally dependent-on-mom learners), 2 toddlers, and a new baby. I need something that will make my life, well, as uncomplicated as possible. Little Hearts for His Glory, which allows much of Gabriel and Bronwyn's work to be combined, seemed like a really good option for us to try. The only catch is that I don't actually know anyone in real life who's used it. But since I'm willing to be the guinea pig, here goes!

I know it's only been about 30 minutes of looking over everything, but so far I am absolutely and completely pleased. Everything is laid out for the teacher, but in a flexible manner. On the days that we are doing well and things around the home are running smoothly, there is room for me to change things up and get as creative as I might like. On the less-than-stellar days when perhaps-- just perhaps-- the baby is crying (no, never!) and Aubrey is being demanding (unthinkable!) and I am wondering how to manage breakfast let alone homeschooling (not me!), there are easy directions: Gabriel, do this, Bronwyn, do that.

And, what's more, I like what I see. This looks like stuff I will enjoy teaching.

Then, as all the books were sprawled about my living room, a trailer arrived bearing our new-to-us piano!

Photobucket

Since Aubrey was already in bed and because it now needs a good tuning after having been hauled several miles down the road and from one house to another, we haven't tinkered with it much tonight, but I can hardly wait.

A piano! Of our very own!

I haven't any immediate plans for getting any of the kids piano lessons, but I am very excited to have the instrument available so they can begin "playing" and familiarizing themselves with the feel and the sound. I remember how much my sisters and I loved to make up our own songs as little girls, not caring in the least if the notes on the piano matched the ones we belted out vocally. It's really fun for me to think of my own children (especially one little girl who sings almost every waking moment) doing the same.


11 comments:

  1. Ahhh...nothing like the smell of a new box of school books...
    I just ordered tonight..
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you like the piano!  Enjoy. Jude

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your kids were here the other day they all were singing songs word perfect I might add (like I even knew them all myself) from Seussical! It was really cute. And like really good too! Wonder who they get that from. And yes one little girl in particular! She sang the whole time she was here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got most of my Little Hearts for His Glory too. I've been somewhat busy so I haven't been able to really look it over but from what I've seen I, too, am completely pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for Box Day!  HOD is my 2nd choice after MFW.  I even considered getting it as an extra K year for Isaac since he doesn't turn 5 till Nov, but I've decided I have enough stuff on hand to wing it this year for him.  (also i'm not really ready to have *3* officially in school

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why I never saw that before!  I like it, maybe I'll get that for Joy....I had used "Do it Carefully" that was a workbook in that set, for my boys though.  That was a Rod and Staff item.  I have always liked Rod and Staff and it's interesting now that we live in a highly populated Mennonite area, it's no surprise to us, we understand their culture from using their school books. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun! i'm excited to come home and find your house all different. i haven't seen the couch and now the piano too!
    miss you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Newshoundfortruth - Although I don't know anyone who's actually used Little Hearts for His Glory, I have had recommendations for both Rod & Staff books and Singapore math. I'm excited to try both of them, in addition to everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember being about 10 years old, first learning the clarinet, when my sister and I decided to do a "duet" with her on the piano and me on the clarinet, not realizing that the "same" notes were not really the same notes at all on the two instruments.  But my parents clapped and smiled, anyway :).  What fun you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 2 girlfriends that use the curriculum and LOVE it!  I'm sure you will too.  Darci, a leurker :)
    Sweet blessings
    http://darcisalisbury.com/mat/

    ReplyDelete