Thursday, July 30, 2009

Around here...


... we are trying to wrap up our summer. The Grand Finale of the season will be our upcoming week in Long Island with my entire family (Yay! [edit: almost] all of us under 1 roof for 6 whole days!), but when we return home in 8 days, it will officially be time to get back to our "school schedule." Daniel is working hard to have everything lined up for what is always a very busy first few weeks of classes and I am trying to get our house organized enough to begin our own first week of classes on the 10th. I'm not a big fan of starting school super early like this, but with the baby due in mid-October, I'd like to have enough of a jump on the school year that I can take a long break mid-semester if need be.

... this pregnancy is progressing perfectly normally and that's really nice. Last week I had the standard 28-week bloodwork done (and got poor hemoglobin results, but that's normal for me), took the blood glucose test (passed with flying colors), and received my rhogam shot.

... vegetable gardening is keeping us mystified. The cilantro that we were initially very worried about is doing extremely well, while the basil that we planted the exact same way we did last year (with great results) is struggling and our parsley (supposedly fairly easy to grow) is nonexistent. I'm not sure if it's the massive amounts of rain and lack of sun that's being problematic or if we got a bum batch of seeds, but it is what it is. At least our tomatoes are looking good, the summer squash and zucchini plants are huge, we are already getting decent-sized green peppers, and our lettuce continues to produce.

... Daniel is burning the candle on both ends so that I can get as much rest as possible. For example, last night he waited up until close to midnight for Gabriel and Bronwyn to return home from watching Nana perform in The King & I so I could go to bed, and then he was the one to get up at the crack of dawn with Aubrey so I could sleep for another hour. I'm trying to just enjoy it for the next week or so rather than dreading the return of Daniel's increased workload and consequent inability to lend a hand quite so much.

... I need to get back to laundry and then tackle the dining room linen/school/art supply cabinet.


9 comments:

  1. Oh have fun with your whole family. I know just what that is like.. all under the same roof. Ockrin's pull that one twice a year since his parents house is so big and we don't get to see each other all at once as much as we'd like to. With that said I know it can be a little crazy at times. So often I have to just let 'things' and napping schedules go and not be so anal about stuff... ya know! So wait then, you leave as in this weekend? No meeting tomorrow night? Just wanted to double check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ReneeOckrin - There's a meeting tomorrow night!  We leave first thing Sat am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to have ALL of your family together.  Your mom musted be thrilled!  Enjoy. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. The entire family together, how wonderful.  I long for that.    You are very blessed.  Our garden seems to be hit or miss too.  Matt's pumpkins went wild last year and this year they look kind of pathetic.  Our sunflowers are not doing well either, not sure if it is the rain but I don't think it is the seeds.  Despite all the rain we get, the garden continues to looks parched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @brietta - Great. We will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @phyllispaladin - @oldfatgramma - I forgot when writing this that Julia and Jamie actually won't be able to make the trip, which is a big bummer to all of us...  But it will still be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! The rhogam shot. I hate that thing but couldn't be more happy that we have it .Enjoy your trip. How very special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy that little bit of extra sleep when you can get it...a little here and a little there.
    Thankful to God that your pregnancy is continuing on in a normal fashion! We like uneventful weeks and months to pass. I think back to your stupid bleed and how much I prayed for the Lord to just heal you up. You were very diligent to rest and let others step in and help when you absolutely needed them to. Wish I could've/would've done more.
    Are you overheating? I just can't get cool.
    Dr. Bero said, "Just keep saying 'Hormones are my friend, hormones are my friend'."
    I said, "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard'."
    She laughed and said, "Ooh- could those be your hormones kicking in right there?"
    I rolled my eyes.
    I hate to blame everything on hormones, but I'm seriously wondering...
    it's not like it's that hot/humid out. And I usually love the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LisaMCriscitello - Are you kidding?! We still talk about the fact that you brought us food and barely knew us when I was doing all that resting!Hormones are not my friend.  Daniel tells me all the time just to hang in there and it will all be over soon.  Yeah... and then I'll be up all night with a newborn and postpartum hormones.  Great. But, no, I'm not having trouble with the heat.  My summer pregnancies have yet to bother me in that regard.  But I do get fat toes by the end of the day, especially in this kind of humidity!P.S. I was thinking the other day that you continue to amaze me with how tiny your belly is this many pregnancies later!  I thought the same thing with Libby.

    ReplyDelete