Monday, February 4, 2008

The Latest


It was a busy weekend around here. Daniel and I spent 7 hours in the ER with Aubrey on Saturday-- completely unrelated to her heart. She'd been running a fever for several days without any other symptoms of illness and on Saturday when it rose instead of getting better, I spoke with the on-call doctor who wanted me to bring her in to be seen. Long story short, we're fairly certain she has a UTI.

Last night, Aubrey's fever broke and she slept in her car seat for the first time in 4 days. Sharing my bed all night long with her wasn't difficult, but the fact that she was very sensitive to movement and wanting to be in my arms all throughout the day, too (the Moby was not OK with her), made life a bit challenging. I'm glad she's feeling better-- and not just because she's sleeping better, but also because she's much happier and more herself again.

My parents and Merrick came over last night to watch the Superbowl with me, which was nice. I made homemade pizza and individual custard cups since the Superbowl simply isn't complete without good food to eat. It was a great game and I was glad to not be watching by myself. The crowning moment was when I realized in stunned disbelief that the team I was rooting for won. I almost always pick the underdog so I have grown accustomed to being a member of the losing crowd.

Tomorrow morning I am going to get my teeth cleaned. This is the first time my teeth have been cleaned since I was eighteen years old, except one time when my friend Liz (who is a dental hygienist) very graciously cleaned them in my parents' family room during the years when I didn't have dental insurance. Getting my teeth cleaned has been on my list of things to do since we moved up here in October 2005, but it obviously wasn't much of a priority. Fortunately for me, my dental exam last month showed no cavities and just a little tartar build-up. I realize it could have been much, much worse and the scolding I received from the very nice dentist has definitely made me ashamed of my neglect.

This week I am hoping to go 7 entire days without anyone in my family getting sick. If we do, it will be the first whole week of health for the whole family since before Christmas. I am also hoping to clean out the freezer, re-organize Aubrey's dresser (there are a few 0-3 month items that were bigger and still being worn a few weeks ago, but now that she's over 11lbs and 24" long, they really ought to be put away), and work on my kitchen re-model plans.

And that's the official latest.

8 comments:

  1. A dentist appt should be on my to do list. I think it will have to wait a little longer...maybe until we have dental insurance too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everything is alright with Aubrey and that is wasn't heart related, although still scary I am sure. I have plans to go to the dentist sometime soon too, although wonder now if it will really be covered like with my glasses. Sounds like you are due for a cleaning!! 18!!Gabe said he felt good when he saw Daniel at the Super Bowl party with no kids/family in tow either. Everyone kept asking where the family was and he had to say you just don't understand yet. From the sounds of it I guess I missed a pretty good game. All well, the things you sacrifice when you have kids and no TV, right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, a question.
    I noticed that the google ads to the left were all about dentists. Is this because you wrote "dental hygienist" in your entry? Weird.
    Yeah, I was rooting for the Giants, too. So was Jeremy. I mean, geesh..can't we show some loyalty to NY/NJ around here?
    And Tom S. got a call right after the game...we were imagining him jumping all over the place...that last few minutes of the game was the coolest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be praying for good health for your whole family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get, the more I appreciate my uncle who is a dentist and my uncle who is a mechanic.  Talk about saving money.  We got our teeth cleaned for free and our car repaired for $8!
    So glad to hear the fever broke.  Ally has had a fever since waking from her nap Sunday afternoon.  No other symptoms and it's not gone over 101.5.  Matt stayed home to play Mr. Mom today since I have had the worst 24 hours of morning sickness yet.  I thought things should be easing up by now?? 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...really?  Worse before better?  I can't say I'm thrilled to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We enjoyed the football game too, Alan has decided it is a food holiday....he was more excited about having pizza and snacks...We kept telling him the Giants could still win, he didn't believe it, Dad was very excited too, because he was very disallusioned about the Patriots previously cheating in something during the season and only getting their hands slapped in his eyes.  So he figured they got their just desserts...Cool too to see the player who got the winning touchdown give thanks to God. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please.
    Miss Molly is right there with you on the mac and cheese. She doesn't just love gourmet. She loves ALL food! And I guess as much as we tease her about it, it is nice to have a super NON-picky eater. Colby and Avery are my other two who won't turn their nose up at ANYTHING. They love it all, and for that I am thankful.
    So do you make homemade mac and cheese? What type of cheese and pasta do you use? A long time ago (maybe twelve years ago) I got a recipe from Emeril that I have stuck with. It uses XXX cheddar and has Dijon mustard in it. Other than that it's pretty basic. Everyone seems to love it.
    I have to admit- I would take Kraft anyday. DON'T TELL ANYBODY!!!!

    ReplyDelete