Monday, February 25, 2008

Our Five-Year-Old


Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Just like this, I have a 5-year-old. It doesn't seem fair... even if this growing boy does make me proud. I love my Gabriel-Boy.

And I am so proud to see him growing and loving. Like when I can see the wheels in his head turning and he makes the right choice. Like when he gushes and mushes all over Aubrey because he's absolutely in love with her. Like when he says, "No, Jesus didn't stay dead. He rose again because He is more powerful than death."

My Gabriel Sinclair:

:: would spend 59 minutes of every hour of every day drawing and coloring and writing if I let him. The remaining minutes would be spent telling me about what he was creating.

:: is still a bit of a loner. His best friend in the world is Uncle Merrick, who he adores. If Merrick likes something, Gabriel likes it. Period.

:: asked for salmon for his birthday dinner. When I asked him what else he wanted with that, his response was, "Maybe candy corn?" (Yeah, nice try, buddy. It might be your birthday but we still have a few boundaries around here!)

:: works hard when he has a goal before him. He has a good grasp of time and so he is not put off by a reward only coming once a month or so but continues to work diligently, counting down the days as he goes.

:: has made great strides in the area of obedience. He still struggles with responding properly when disappointed (I don't know where he got that from!), but generally understands that when told to do something, he must do it.

:: adores his littlest sister. He likes Bronwyn and Jackson, too, but he's got something special for Aubrey. The way he showers her with love and affection is wonderful. And he's great to have around to entertain her in those fussy-but-Mama's-got-to-finish-dinner moments.

:: has a sincere little boy desire to love and obey God. This is the best thing of all.

Happy Birthday, Gabriel!

Photobucket


18 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe I'm the first to comment!! Happy Birthday Gabriel-Boy! I trully cannot believe that he is 5. It feels like yesterday that he was this little infant snuggled up with his mama:) What a special boy he is. I can't wait to see him in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten all teary for weeks every time I think about this birthday coming, but it's not just because he's becoming a bonafide big boy; it's because I'm so incredibly proud of him. What a special boy.Hugs and kisses. I'll call sometime today to talk to the birthday boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your biggest little man. Have a splendid celebration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Happy Birthday Gabriel! He's really into his boyhood... how did that happen already!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!  Tell Gabriel Happy Birthday from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday from the CRISCITELLO'S-
    and I say give him the candy corn!!!!! That was pretty good, you have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Gabriel!!  We are so very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They grow up fast, don't they? Have a wonderful celebration of your special little man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should surprise him with a little bowl of candy corn by his plate at dinner. That would really throw him, don't you think? Plus, 5 is a pretty big milestone, after all..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, Gabriel Boy!
    Five years old today? Wow! I still remember going over to your mom's, with all my kids and Gabriel instantly pulled Westley aside and said, "Hi, I'm Gabriel. And I'm *looks at his hand and holds up 4 fingers* 4!" He wasn't quite four years old yet but he seemed like such a proud big brother and a good friend to all!
    I can also picture him as a little Jedi, waving a 'light saber' around, while Princess Bronwyn danced around and told me how much she likes pink and princesses. (That was at your house, when I was dropping off some dinner with Louissa.)
    All your kids are fantastic! Maybe you can place a piece of candy corn, on Gabriel's slice of cake?  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about Salmon with a candy corn glaze?? Reading all that just warms my heart, I love to see children learning of and loving Jesus.  Good job, Brietta!!!Isaac is also probably his Uncle Jeff's biggest fan   I bought Jeff this outfit for Christmas and wouldn't you know, Old Navy had the sweatshirts and shirts on sale after - of course!  Jeff had liked his so much, I decided to grab, a different style, a matching one for him and Isaac.  Wellllll... Isaac wants to wear it pretty much every day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Gabriel!  Enjoy this wonderful, special day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to him and congratulations to the proud mama!  I remember being in Turkey and keeping track of your looong labor through Carina.  We prayed, and we waited, and we prayed some more, until we got the news of his birth!  Wow, I can´t believe it´s been so long!  Enjoy this wonderful day and your wonderful little boy!
    love you,

    ReplyDelete
  14.  Happy Birthday to you big boy........
    Love Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Gabriel!  (Brietta, you simply must work that candy corn in there somewhere. What a "fun" request!) 
    Love to All  Wish we could be there to celebrate with you and have some candy corn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful and how exciting.  Happy birthday Gabriel!  Kids are the best! 

    ReplyDelete