Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Remodeling


Much of my day has been spent bent over the dining room table, drawing and cutting small lines, shuffling papers that represent cupboards and tables and appliances and more. This planning is not for tonight nor tomorrow. Believe it or not, I am already looking far ahead to spring, even as I hunker down with candles and afghans and steaming mugs of tea.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Yup, you guessed it: our savings account has proclaimed us ready to begin assembling remodeling strategies on this precious little house I call home. We currently have an unfinished room off of our kitchen. Many of you know the Room Within The Room that we use as a make-shift coat closet and laundry room. Well, that make-shift room's days are numbered; we will soon re-claim its two-by-fours and insulation and put them towards more than doubling our present kitchen's size (which currently boasts a very modest 120' square feet).

Today I pulled out my ruler and pencil, deeply furrowed my brow, and did
my best to make dreams and imaginations fit inside the grid lines
before me.


This square represents the current square footage
(however, the little squares representing appliances and cupboards are not shown in the existing layout):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



The two pages together represent our kitchen once the wall between the existing room and the unfinished room is torn down
(as you can possibly see-- if your eyes are amazing, that is-- I am contemplating commandeering 65-70 square
feet for a mudroom/laundry room on the bottom right hand):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Yesterday I wanted to fast-forward to spring and let the dust fly. Today I am glad I have a bit more time to plot and plan. The picking and choosing of priorities is much more daunting than simply putting up with what I've been handed by someone else.


14 comments:

  1. You folks are amazing and to be commended! How exciting to be on the verge of such fun happenings - it will be as much fun to plan as it is to see it happen, so - happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you!...although I agree with that last sentence. I am so overwhelmed by the mere thought of having to create my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!  I want to see the plans in person.  My eyes are NOT good enough to read that!
    Is everyone fairly healthy over your way?  I think that we have finally all gotten over runny noses around here.  I was wondering if we could come over for a visit some time this week?  Ryan leaves for VT again tomorrow (he just got back yesterday)  He doesn't expect to make it home until Friday, so we are looking for some other visiting to do.  Just let me know if you think that something will work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now kitchen layout is one conversation I can jump into!
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhh...how much fun!!  I'm trying to think of some things my mom really loved with her new kitchen.  If I think of any, I'll let you know!
    Have fun!  I can't wait to have my way with a house!  Maybe less than a year?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. new kitchens are VERY exciting!! micah decided ours would be his winter project. we needed pretty much new everything (from the ceiling, to the lights, to the walls, to the floors=) he went out on black friday and purchased our dishwasher- can't wait for that. are you planning on redecorating at the same time? we are sticking pretty much to the same theme (black white and yellow/sunflowers and cows). micah is putting in lots of counter space, that was something we were really lacking! random q- are you redoing the floor too? i am excited for you and i can't wait to see the pics=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds exciting! We are currently at the stage before you guys:) The one where we just bought a house & now need some time to let our savings account grow;) I can't help but daydream about possible improvements though & Noah is just dieing to tear down some walls, haha. What is it that guys love about that kind of destruction? It reminds me of little boys knocking down lego towers...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very fun indeed! We made a mudroom in our NY house, my first ever, and I miss it. It was filled with more hooks than we had coats for (but they came in handy when the youth group came over), all sorts of neat cubbies, and even a built in recycling station. Maybe I'll get another someday, who knows.
    Have fun planning and picking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I have a random question, but just out of curiosity...do you use a computer software design program? If you do, which one do you use & would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's impressive...  I once did something that was supposed to be similar for trying to fit our furniture into our new apartment.  Let's just say I gave up after trying to scale everything accurately.   I love flexibility, so it is always very hard for me to pin down details that are (even semi) permanent.   Hopefully, for you this planning time affords you all of the possibility exploration you could ever hope for with a great result come spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear... stuffy noses are no fun for little ones.  I'm sure that it is especially trying to have Aubrey keep up with nursing and having enough bottles.  I know that when Riley was stuffed up a few weeks ago he didn't want to nurse at all!  I will be praying for a quick recovery for your sweet baby.  Just let me know when she is doing better and we can arrange a time! 
    ps- if you ever need to talk to an adult (you know, since you only leave your house for Dr. appointments these days!    just give me a call.  We could always talk over crying babies on both ends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooo I'm so excited for you!   Nothing better for a homemaker than a kitchen designed to suit her preferences and needs!  We've talked at length about totally remodeling our kitchen, partially, or not at all since we don't think we'll be here long term.  Maybe just a few more years.  The house we want to be in long term is my parents' neighbor's house.. they want to sell in a couple of years (undefined amount of time).  It's an older farm house in great condition, with 5 bedrooms!!!  Think of how many kids we could fit in there  And the kitchen in that house is set up to cook for an army!!  We're hoping they're sincere as we've already had lots of conversations of how we'd like to set up house in that home. I sent you a message via xanga.. I wasn't sure if that would be the best way to get back to you or not!  I gave you my e-mail to be in touch, no rush - I just answered your question about the kids ages and stuff, and wasn't sure if you were still waiting to hear from me.  I wish you a lovely afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting.  Having been through this twice could I make one suggestion.  Have a kitchen planner or two come and do some lay-outs for you.  This is always free of charge and it's amazing how they can see the same space we are looking at.  You are then free to use their ideas or not.  Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're doing great!  I would have just scribbled some sketches and left the rest for Matthew.  He's much better at all of that.  Impressed!  It is going to be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete