Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's a...


...Mom sort of day.

Not necessarily a Like My Mom sort of day, but just the kind when being a mom feels very real.

I think I slept from 10pm-1:30am last night. I'm not sure why Aubrey was awake so much-- she's not very congested by now-- I just know that she was. She had a bad night. Babies do that sort of thing.

I have changed a certain son's very disgusting diaper twice already this morning. I think it will be a long day in that department.

This certain son also has required that I "fix" his socks what feels like every 15-30 minutes since he woke first thing this morning. Fixing = making sure the seam is perfectly centered across his toes and that the heel isn't slouching a bit. Was it me that once said he was easy-going?

I started laundry while stirring the black beans while sanitizing the bottles while ordering two Christmas gifts. If you called and I didn't answer, it's because I was already doing far more things than I have hands for-- and I simply refuse to start using a hands-free headset for phone calls.

And the reason I haven't called back is because I'm too tired.

I'm wearing the clothes I wore yesterday since the path of least resistance this morning meant putting them on instead of picking them up from the heap they were in and folding them. I hate wearing the same clothes two days in a row because it makes me feel sleepy and feeling sleepy comes easily enough today.

Bronwyn brought me two toys that were growing mold and needed to be cleaned. I don't remember ever cleaning moldy toys in my former life.

My means of transportation has been borrowed by my husband because the car muffler needs to be repaired or replaced. It doesn't matter because I wouldn't go anywhere anyway but not having it sitting in the driveway reinforces the housebound feeling.

It's a Mom sort of day and I really don't mind.

After all, I will wear the same clothes two days in a row and it won't matter because my kids don't even notice. I will change diapers and wash moldy toys and be glad that my jobs don't require much brain activity. I will let voicemail answer my phone and callers will excuse me with thoughts like, "She's probably putting the kids down for naps," or "I bet she's up to her eyeballs in laundry." I will go to bed at 8pm tonight (if all the children are sleeping at their usual time) and nobody will think less of me because... well, because I'm a mom.

You see, it all works out in the end.

And the in-betweens are filled with baby coos and toddler laughter and and offerings of plastic tea cups filled with invisible hot chocolate and seeing four little heads peeking out from warm quilts and parades put on just for me.

I like Mom sorts of days.


9 comments:

  1. Parades? Just for you?? Oh my goodness, how fun!(And how totally Bronwyn, btw, to notice mold on the toy. I'm just surprised she didn't help herself to the Clorox or something.)Oh. And I can't believe Jack has gotten in on the sock neurosis. Is Dad like that? Why are we all like that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is lame is that I didn't even know you could use a different background.  So my answer would be no, I don't think it's lame.  It's the least I could share with my Xanga tutor!
    I had to laugh about the "job requiring no brain activity".  I've been on this kick recently trying to not let my mind become mush.  You may know the mushy feeling...not using more than a four letter word (other than disobeying) in the last week, forgetting really important things (like paying a bill or your age) or my favorite from this past week, doing an "easy" crossword puzzle and you can't figure out the clue "Up, on a map" with the letters  _ _ RTH.  Earth?  Narth?  Yeah...north...really should have been able to come up with that one on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, mom days aren't so bad. Except this last one I recently had I had to say "Go Figure!!". It was dreary out and felt like a homely day and I hadn't gotten out of pj's yet, brushed my hair or teeth, put contacts in etc... Needless to say I was quite the site!! Of course that was the one day our landlord decided to grace my door to say our furnace was getting cleaned in 5 min. All I could do was laugh and say you caught me being a mom. You changed your site again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.  Even when I get 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I don't try multi-tasking as much as you do on less than 4.  And I don't think I have ever been in be by 8pm.  That sounds wonderful, though.  I think 11pm has somehow turned into an "early" bedtime for me lately and I don't like that one bit.  I wish I could blame it on an awake baby, but it is more frequently just me wanting a couple hours of being a wife without the added responsibility of being a mom at the same time.  Well, I guess that's a bit selfish, and I suppose I pay for it in lack of sleep.  I need to work on viewing my "mom" days as you do...I think they would be much more productive and enjoyable if I did. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, Happy "Mom Day".
    hope you get some sleep tonight.I miss holding that sweet baby. I feel the need to see her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the post! How true.
    How did you do this new layout? I noticed that you and Sarah have really neat looking sites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) just thought id say i liked the post and i quite admire moms. theyre pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a precious post, Brietta! I like those sorts of days,too :) In fact, they are quite my favorites. Love to you, Q

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel for you!  Although those days are ok every once in a while, I do hope that it doesn't repeat itself today! 

    ReplyDelete