Thursday, November 1, 2007

Another Day

This morning, I made a simple chore chart for Gabriel & Bronwyn. Aubrey's arrival and the ensuing busyness is requiring that my children start doing more on their own. I'm glad because I think that my perfectionism would not relinquish control of things like how the bed is made without my hand being forced. It's good for my kids to be a bit more independent and it's good for me to just focus on the things that I really do need to do.

So the charts have begun. (Brings you back, huh D & Beanz?) I'm no artist, but at least my 3- and 4-year-old know what the drawings mean!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



After that, Gabriel and I relocated his drum set to a little nook in the upstairs hallway. This spot used to contain shelves with bed linens, but since I got rid of the ridiculously large assortment of random bedsheets I owned and never used, I decided it would make a nice home for his kit. Now we just have to get some cool art work on the walls or something!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



This afternoon, while Bronwyn slept and Jackson was off for a hair cut followed by an on-campus cell meeting with Daniel, I made pizza for this evening's meal and macaroni & cheese for one of the nights Daniel is gone this weekend. It was a tricky affair, since Aubrey was fussy much of the time, so Gabriel was employed in the entertainment department. I'm not sure if Aubrey was more entertained or scared, to be honest, but at least I got the food made.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Now that the giant fake spiderwebs have been removed from our neighbor's lawn and I am in the kitchen doing some cooking and baking again, it feels like the holidays can arrive. I'm enjoying the fact that Gabriel is really old enough to grasp a bit about our American heritage this fall as we approach this Thanksgiving.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



And, yes, I did write that Jackson went in for a hair cut today. It has been long overdue (since before Aubrey was born!) and he looks much, much improved. You can see in this picture taken two days ago how much of a mullet the poor kid has been sporting (sorry I don't have an "after" picture yet):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



I also talked with the doctor today, who was very pleased with Aubrey's weight on Tuesday! In addition, Aubrey's bloodwork results came back indicating slightly higher levels of Digoxin than are necessary, so her dosage has been lowered from .5ml/day to .4ml/day. And since one of the negative side effects of this medicine is appetite suppression, this could mean we won't have to be force-feeding quite so much.

Another thing I think may be contributing to Aubrey's frequent disinterest in eating are some gas issues. Last night she cried (screamed
may be a more appropriate word!) for 40 minutes straight, her back
arched and her legs stiff as boards, while I paced the
house with her. This has become more and more of a pattern with her and I've been realizing over the past week that her fussiness is much more than just normal baby stuff. I've been cutting back on dairy products since dairy is the most common cause of such problems, but as of today I've cut it out entirely. I've also switched from using pretty standard run-of-the-mill bottles to these bottles for the "topping off" that still takes place most feedings. Hopefully all this will increase Aubrey's comfortability within the next week or two, though I know that if dairy is indeed the culprit, it can take more like three weeks to rid my body of it entirely.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



I find I'm rambling on here more often than not since Aubrey was born. I'm not sure if this is really as much because I'm updating readers about Aubrey-- though I try to convince myself it is-- as it's because I'm too tired to think many coherent thoughts beyond my very immediate situation. To be honest, it's been seven weeks of not being quite sure how to process.

When I was laying in my bed in the middle of the night after Aubrey's birth, I was frustrated because the drugs I'd been given kept making me lose my train of thought. I felt so frightened by the fact that my newborn daughter was miles and miles away from me in very critical condition but I couldn't even pray the way I wanted to. In the midst of that fear, the Lord gently brought to mind the faces of those who I had seen in the waiting room as I was wheeled in and out of surgery, praying and interceding for Aubrey and me; He reminded me that it is in my weakness that His strength is made perfect.

I've recalled that moment often throughout the past several weeks as I fall short and am very, very weak. The house has been pulled together only when others pull it together for me, the children's hair is often disheveled, there have been no apple pies or pumpkin breads issuing from my oven, I cry a lot and I'm afraid even more.

And still He says that His strength is made perfect.

Here. Now. In this muddled, rambling mess.

He made up my lack on the Cross. He makes up my lack everyday. I'm so, so glad to be His.


17 comments:

  1. Hmmm...this post is giving me ideas...   ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mylicon works wonders for a fussy baby.  And it seems to work fast so you don't have to wait long and can give it to her only when it's really bad.  We also used the Vent-Airs.  Every once in a while, check the disks.  The tiny vent holes can get mold in them which you really have to inspect to even see.  I hope and pray for the gas to decrease and appetite to increase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, I hope Aubrey isn't sensitive to dairy! It took two weeks for me to tell that cutting it all out made a difference - before that I thought all of Little Larry's screaming and crying were just "normal" baby behavior (of course, the bloody stools were a big clue, too). What a difference! But I suppose it would be even harder for you to cut out dairy entirely - Big Larry didn't mind eating dairy-free meals most of the time (and was kind enough not to eat a lot of pizza in front of me), but with three other little ones, you can't put the whole family on dairy restriction, and making separate meals is a pain. Still, we'd do anything for these little ones! I did do a dairy-free Christmas two years ago, so I have some yummy cookie recipes if you find you need them.

    I like your chore charts - something for me to tuck away to use in a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that chore chart idea!  I have one a bit more -um- elaborate(?) for Austin -he is 9 afterall lol -but need one for Ashlyn.  She already helps with laundry and setting the table, emptying the dishwasher and such but I she really needs a morning routine.  The past few weeks (months!), it has become a regular thing for her to come down in the morning and sit watching Veggie Tales or Bob the Builder for the morning while I get everything else going.  Bad habit!! 
    Austin had gas issues for months.  I was never even told to consider milk allergies or sensitivities so didnt do anything other than try to cope with his screaming.  It would start every night around dinner and last right through until 11-12 midnignt.  When he was about 9 months old, someone finally mentioned to me that he might be sensitive to dairy.  I cut it out and within 2 weeks, he was better.  *sigh*  That instance was just one of the many reasons I was so glad to be back home at that time! 
    The rest of your post could be mine as well...  What to say... What to even think about...  Our thoughts are so completely caught up in what is happening right now in our immediate life that thinking outside the here and now is almost impossible.  I find when I try to, it is then that I become depressed, overwhelmed and anxious.  Maybe this is a time for inner-growth and something that we can only share after the season has passed?  I do know you are right and your words lifted my heart this morning...
    "He reminded me that it is in my weakness that His strength is made perfect." and "He made up my lack on the Cross. He makes up my lack everyday. I'm so, so glad to be His." 
    Praying for you all... 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preach it, Sista! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brietta, I was just catching up on earlier posts, and you mentioned jury duty. I didn't make the time to completely read all the responses, but just in case...
    Homeschooling is a valid excuse from jury duty. That is all you need to say, and they will accept it. (At least, it was that easy the last time I was notified, which was several years ago.)

    I am so glad that you and Aubrey are doing better! Hopefully, you will quickly figure out what it is that's giving your sweet little lady such pain.

    Have a peaceful day in His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutting out dairy will definetly help.  If she ends up with any excessive spit up/projectile vomiting--I'd take her to the doctor and see if  Gastro-Esphegeal Reflux Disorder may be what she has.  That's what Josiah had and he just took a little liquid zantac every morning and night.  It worked wonders and "GERD" is very common among infants.  In fact all infants have it to some extent-that's why baby's spit up to begin with.  But some babies- like Josiah-have extreme cases that needs treating.  But, I wouldn't go this route unless she starts spitting up a lot more than your other kiddos.
    Also-elevating her will help.  My doctor said keeping baby upright for 45 minutes after nursing can do wonders for acid reflux.  But, if it's gas-elevate her botton half with a folded blanket.   That can relieve pressure.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh-where'd the cute pilgrim figures come from?  I saw that book at the store-is is good? I almost bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If rambling is really what you call it, then keep rambling.
    We love it. Hearing updates on the kids (and you big people, too!).
    Photos are also always a nice touch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your rambling as well.  I think that is what most of do, just ramble.  Occasioanlly, some profound thoughts arrange themselves in just a way to where they seem, well, profound. When really, they are just rambles. Keep on ramblin'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love hearing from you and therefore get to keep up with the children.  What a blessing you are in so many ways - to Your Husband, Your Children and all of us to love to hear from you.  We will never stop praying for you all.  We love you and yours.  Gram

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Brietta! Jacqui shared "First Fives" with me a few years ago & it has been SUCH a Sinclair-blessing in our home! My sister also created "Last Fives," which I also use, and it makes bedtime so much easier. We did ours with clip-art in Word and have shared them, complete with Darlene-props, with SO MANY friends & families. You guys really can't know how your family has blessed others!! :D

    And I, too, love the "rambling"...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same chore chart for Erin. Although, it's bedtime chores consisting of brush teeth, wash hands, use potty, pray and have mommy/daddy read a book. I used my hand to to get the "5" points across. The chore chart is actually hanging on her door. Yesterday she came to me and announced rather happily that she had made her own bed which I was very pleased to see! Yah:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure you've gotten enough advice, but I used mylicon too for Matthew, but you'd have to make sure it's ok with the other medicine she's taking.  He had issues with milk, but I only had to cut out drinking milk, ice cream and yogurt.  And it seemed to be pretty much out of my system after a week.  When he was a year old he was able to drink milk himself and also after he was around 9 months he was able to have baby yogurt (I don't see that anymore?  The gerber one anyway. Yo-Baby is good, and not so sweet...)  So everyone's case is different and she could have other reasons for gas.  I'll pray for healing from any allergies for you and that she wouldn't develop any.  It's funny, I would think, one bottle of milk wouldn't hurt(when I had pumped milk saved from when I had eaten ice cream or something)but Doug would give it to him and immediately he would react.  He started calling it devil milk, not very helpful to me!  But that was the difference in his reactions.  He was an angel when I changed what I was doing.  Orange juice(when I drank it) gave both boys gas too.
    I love your pictures and I'm so happy for you guys.  Your children all look like angels.   

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know you don't know who I am, I do read your site often as we have mutal friends.  Both of my girls had Colic.  It is not fun and I really do sympathize, however the good news is that it does not last.  In about 6-8 weeks it goes away.  6-8 weeks feels like forever, but it goes away!!!  I really think there are two types of Colic....1 - digestion and 2 - stimulation.  I think my oldest had the digestion type of Colic and my youngest had the stimulation type.  The only thing that made my youngest stop crying was if I ran the vacuum.  Do you know how many meals I ate running the vaccum????  Too many!  I always worried that my kids would have issues with dairy, but neither of them did.  All I can say is if you can pay close attention to the things that may set her off....you'll know if it's digestion or stimulation.  They have hundreds of web sites regarding Colic.....some helped and some didn't.  I will pray that she gets through this quickly and that your "Mother's Heart" can tolerate it in the meantime.
    You have beautiful children - and are very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I echo what LMC said. love the rambles etc.. also, i employ Jonathan in the entertaining dept quite often myself. well, sometimes i don't even have to recruit him, he just takes it up anyway and then i hve to tell him to back off. cute chore chart. can i ask you something in regards to that, though? well... couple of things: how do you keep track if it's done? and what do you do when it is done? and daily or what? also, don't you brush bronwyn and gabriel's teeth after they've done it or at least bronwyn's?  

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brietta, my son had colic, and after the fact, I read that babies who are given some yogurt cultures can have a real improvement in gas symptoms.  I guess maybe if you find out that dairy isn't the answer, you might be interested in checking that out - unless you already know it...

    ReplyDelete