Tuesday, June 10, 2008

*sigh*


I know: I've been pretty quiet around here.

Trust me, I have pretty good excuses. Lots of 'em. Impressive ones, pathetic ones, and fun ones. But really, if I'm totally honest, the reason for my quiet is that I'm tired and don't have many thoughts to share.

After two sleepless nights due to a whirlwind, knock-the-stuffing-out-of-you bout of the stomach bug (yes, Gabriel graciously shared with me), we launched into some pretty sticky, humid weather. Which means the baby doesn't sleep. Need I write more?

Let me just tell you that today I'm having to remind myself that everything will look good when I'm old and can sleep through the night again in the morning. Today, between tears, I told Daniel that "everything simple seems to be so hard, which can only mean that there must be something wrong with me." Talk like that just means I'm tired and need to be quiet for a few days.

The weather is really beautiful and I truly only mind these unseasonably hot temperatures when the nursing baby thinks her sweaty body should be up close to mine all. night. long. While she thrashes and fusses and complains because she's hot, I might add. Poor baby. On top of the heat, she's got all four top teeth coming in at once and she's congested and coughing a lot.

Anyway, in the end, there are a few things I know:

1. God is good.
2. I am blessed.
3. Coming up short usually gives me a good opportunity to re-evaluate my time and energy investments.
4. I shouldn't keep a blog if I don't intend to write in it for a week at a time.


9 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the heat. Our house is so very hot. We've spent most of our time outside in a kiddie pool. The one great thing was that the previous owners gave us their 3 room air conditioners making the nights so much more manageable. It makes such a difference I would say you should look into purchasing one for the really hot nights. I know it really helps keep the humidity out of the air for Maygen too. I hope you get some much needed rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Your honesty is so refreshing. It sounds silly but I started to cry while reading your blog because it feels so good to know that I am not the only mom feeling like she is missing something and on the edge.  A hot and sticky house can make even the most seasoned mom feel a little off. You know Gerardo and I bought an air conditioner three years ago it's an Energy Star and our electric bill is only a bit more. Not even enough to notice the change in price but we know it much cost something. We only use it at night in our room on really hot humid nights and Rissa gets to sleep on the floor. It's kind of like a camp out. Trust me it's worth the sleep you'll get..... I pray you get some much needed rest. Blessings upon you and yours....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brietta! Just popping in to send a hug. I'll be praying for rest for you. Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those quiet days we all need and I have had plenty of them myself as of late. Take all you need. I do hope you guys are all feeling better and that sleep can grace your bed!, that is so hard. Just for your sake and Aubrey's I'd splurge if possible and get a window/room unit like suggested! I hear they're wonderful! and there's nothing wrong with doing something like that for yourself if it would help (I think it would). Summer is a long way to go yet! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand! Charlotte has been sick all weekend and last night were were in the ER pretty late with her high fever and ear infection...and lucky me, I think I caught it. The heat does agitate too. Like Renee said, splurge a little, and put a window unit in...we have one, and my goodness does it make a difference, especially with a baby in there with you. Mara just has a window fan, but when you have a baby nursing at night, the cool air really helps both you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing weekly is okay -- I hope, since there are often longer absences on my blog! We love to hear from you, even if there is space and silence from time to time. That speaks as well...
    Happy travels today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't disagree more about your last point! Blogs are about updates and keeping in touch (at least mine is!) and at this stage of life, (for me, at least!) weekly is doing pretty good! People like reading what you write no matter how frequent (or UNfrequent) that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get a room air conditioner!!!  If you shop around you can find some good priced ones and they run for like 40 extra bucks a year.  Since no one runs one all year long-it won't even cost that!  We have one in our bedroom and just run it at night.  You can get one with a timer that will shut off after a certain amount of hours.  We also have one in our kids room and in our livingroom.  They work wonders plus they help people with allergies which is a plus around here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @sarahellie - It's good to know that my readers don't mind my absence!  Must be those statistics about people not reading if you don't write regularly aren't as true as I think they are, huh??? By the way, I really hope your dad is feeling better.  Sounds like you guys are doing a great job with taking care of him!

    ReplyDelete