Friday, April 30, 2010

C25k


I've never been a runner.

Never. In my whole life.

So thinking about taking up the Couch to 5k program kind of came out of nowhere. I'm still not sure what inspired me, besides the fact that I'm constantly looking at my life through the lens of What Am I Teaching My Children? and I was finding myself coming up sorely short in the Physical Fitness Example. I tell my kids that it's important to make their health a priority, but then I fail to make it a priority for myself.

Then I read about c25k and it caught my eye. Could it really make a Runner (term used loosely, of course) out of me?

The price was right: free. The time investment was right: 30 minutes 3x/week. The location was right: my neighborhood streets.

Still, I was hedging. I didn't think I would like it. This program said it would get me to a place where I could comfortably run for 30 minutes and, I'm not going to lie, that sounded awful to me.

(I know, I know... those of you who actually run are absolutely laughing your heads off at me. But you have to understand, I'm not an athlete. In any way, shape, or form. I don't do this kind of thing.)

My sister decided to do it with me. Without her, I doubt I would be writing about this from the middle of the program. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gotten beyond the Imagining What Running Must Feel Like stage. She's stuck with me, even when those first few weeks were ridiculously easy and she was probably wondering why in the world we were doing this thing.

We're finishing week six out of nine. We had to take a week off back in the early stages to let my feet recover from terribly old and bad shoes, but other than that, we haven't skipped a beat. Without a doubt, the getting up and out the door first thing 3 mornings a week is the hardest part. And I know for certain that I look ridiculous: I don't run-- I jog, and I'm sure everybody who happens to get a glance at me immediately thinks to themselves, "That girl is not used to this."

But I love it.

I love that many of these mornings, I've woken up tired and with a headache, but after 30 minutes of fresh air and beautiful landscapes and getting my heart going, I feel refreshed and ready to take on the day. For real! I've done my video workouts and dance classes and walking and so forth over the years, but none of those things have ever left me feeling more energized than when I started. Running does.

I have my first official 5k planned for the last weekend in June. I've not yet run an actual 5k (I think about 2 miles in the most we've done so far), but I'm working my way there and I'm excited.

This is fun!

Who'da thunk???


6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I feel the same way about running over ANY other work out. Have fun with it! You will do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cool!
    I did enjoy running somewhat back when the fam tried it first thing in the morning that one year. Mostly just because I do love getting exercise.But for me, dancing and even the video I do takes it hands down. I LOVE that stuff. I would dance all day -- well, obviously not. But you get the idea!Kudos!! -- keep up the good work! People need, need, need good exercise in their life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brietta, this is good.  I agree.  I have not been a part of physical fitness for a long time.  I just started up again after a seven year spread.  And the part of making decisions about ourselves for our children is fabulous.  Lisa 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally impressed!  I got through week 2 of the c25k and I was tired of running in the heat (last summer) so I quit... and I never started again.  I always tell myself that running would be so much faster, but I just haven't been good about training myself to run!  

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister took up running when she was in her 30s and progressed to triathlons in her 40s (she had been on swim team during her school years but that was her only sport).  That level of fitness was a real help when she got pregnant with twins at 45. 
    For me, I still haven't found a good way to fit regular exercise into my daily routine.  C25K sounds intriguing, but I don't know how do-able it would be for me without a) someone to run with for moral support and b) somebody to watch the children. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. @gandw93 - Wow!  Your sister is impressive!  Swimming was one of the few things I did in highschool-- and I enjoyed it-- but I don't see myself doing any triathlons.  Then again, I never saw myself running and I'm doing that, so... !As far as the time commitment, I think what helps is that Daniel runs, too.  On Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, we spend from about 6-7:30am taking turns running & showering.  It's been working pretty well.  There have been a few mornings when Daniel has had meetings earlier than usual (his FIRST THING meetings normally happen on Th, Sat & Sun, so it's not typically a problem) and I've had to find a way to run either right before dinner (like, pop the food in the oven and hit the road as soon as Daniel walks in the door), etc., but overall it's worked.  And since Daniel's into running, he appreciates this form of exercise a lot and does his best to enable me to get to it.That said, I can definitely appreciate why running would not be for everyone.  Just like I am finding this much more enjoyable than a workout dvd or taking a long walk, I can see why others would prefer things like that!

    ReplyDelete