Saturday, April 24, 2010

Of Rings and Running


My engagement ring is missing as of yesterday morning.

I removed it to mix up a pie crust with my hands and put both my wedding band and engagement ring in their normal Kitchen Duties That Are Too Messy To Leave Rings On My Finger location, right next to Daniel's espresso machine (this is not to say that, after my rings, the espresso machine is the next most important thing in the house). After all my baking (I also made a loaf of banana bread while I was at it) and consequent dish-washing, I normally slip the rings right back on, but yesterday I forgot. I was running out the door with my 3 little guys to spend some time with my big sister and her little guys while my 2 big guys were at Friday School and didn't notice that they were missing until we were all settled in Danica's family room.

Upon returning home 3 hours later, I immediately went to the counter to put my rings back on. There lay my wedding band, but no engagement ring. (Which, can I just say that it would be a lot less stressful to have lost the $65 wedding band???)

Now, almost 24 hours later, Daniel and I have turned the kitchen upside-down. He looked in the sink drain "trap" (or whatever it's called) and moved the oven for me. I went through the garbage twice, pawed through the 5lb bag of flour, looked under both small and large appliances, and a friend came over last night and reorganized my messiest kitchen drawer so that we could make sure it hadn't fallen in there.

I know there are much bigger things that happen in life. I know it was a ring-- a thing. It wasn't even an expensive ring, as far as engagement rings nowadays go.

But it was my engagement ring, and it represented a whole lot to me.

To say I've been kicking myself and that I haven't cried would be a gross understatement and lie.

I'm crushed.


On another note, I've been meaning to write about this new Running Thing I've taken up in the past month and a half.

But now that I'm thinking about my ring again, it just seems so dumb to write about running.

So I'll save that for another time.


6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, Brietta, I am so sorry. I lost the diamond out of my ring at Friday School last year and I never found it. I pray that you will find yours asap. Maybe someone will take a bite into it while eating all the yummy stuff you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brietta,  I know how you feel.  I lost my diamond out of my engagement ring and then years later lost my ten year band, but found that one in a kitchen utensil drawer!  I do hope you find it.  There are lots of memories in those special rings, but what you and Daniel have is so special and that's a rare thing.Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you check the girl's room?  Just a thought since the pretty one was the one that was missing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brietta,

    I went through that last week, I kept going through my night knowing I had taken them off and just couldn't remember exactly were I had set them. My wedding band, new diamond ring and my anniversary band, a few dollars involved here. As I kept going over and over in my mind my night before I suddenly realized that I had had a snack and I filled my herb container and had opened some new bottles, it then dawned on me that I may have put my rings on the plate which I threw in the garbage the night before. I paniced and went to the garbage as it was garbage day and it was on its way to the roadside to be picked up and I am going through the trash and yes there they were laying on the very bottom of the trash were my rings, whew. I didn't want to tell Dave I had lost my rings as he had just bought me a new diamond ring last year. I remember a friend from church was here and we prayed "Lord help me to find my rings."  I hope it turns up Brietta.

    connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. brietta,
    so sorry. mine was stolen almost two years ago and just the other day i was thinking how much i wanted it back. it is a hard thing to get off ones mind esp when you know right where you placed it. ugh! i have also felt the same...why couldnj't it have been my $50 wedding band... so hoping you find it. my mom lost hers one time several years ago, and when someone was donathing some things to her (this was about 17 yrs later) she found it in the bottom of a bag of yarn. man. not fun. rick and i were both devastated. i still look at pictures and wish there could be a do over or somthing... really hoping it's somewhere in your house.

    ReplyDelete