Thursday, September 3, 2009

Stirring up gratitude


I know the ups and downs of life take their toll on all of us.

It just seems like lately there have been some pretty major roller coasters happening around here (take my word for it: the pneumonia is just the tip of the iceberg), and there have been a few times in the past week that I've just wanted to run away from it all.

But instead of running away, I've decided to record ten things that I'm awfully thankful for:
  1. Tomorrow we'll finish Week 4 of our official homeschooling year, and we are having so much fun!
  2. Although Gabriel and Jackson aren't recovering from pneumonia the way they should (which means another doctor's appointment this afternoon *sigh*), you would never know that Aubrey was one of the four of us who was sick. She was the least effected (affected?-- I don't think I'll ever know!) by the illness, which is just... miraculous, really.
  3. We keep getting amazingly delicious tomatoes from our garden. Considering the fact that we had to pull half our tomato plants out due to blight, this is pretty awesome.
  4. I love our house. No, really. I can't think of any other place on earth I would want to be stuck for 2 weeks with a sick family. It's our haven.
  5. Online shopping is fantastic. I did all the birthday shopping for the months of September and October without buckling and unbuckling a single car seat.
  6. I've had a steady stream of visitors this week, people I know are thinking of me and wanting to make sure I'm okay: Louissa, Lore, Mom, Nancy, Camilla, Liana. It doesn't get much better than that sort of kindness.
  7. The sun is shining and the grass is green, green, green. Just like yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that. The best part? The forecast is the same for tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that. No wonder I love the North Country in the late summer and fall.
  8. My husband doesn't care that our Independence Day decorations are still out, 2 months later. Better yet, I don't care. I'm finally learning to chill out a teeny bit.
  9. I can have a miserable late afternoon (like yesterday) only to realize halfway into the evening (like yesterday) that everything is going okay and the kids and I are actually enjoying one another. Sometimes I'm too busy to notice the grace of God, but it's all over my life in a million little ways like that.
  10. I'm saved. Nothing can change that, and nothing can separate me from His love.
Oh, and one more:

11. Getting to listen to a great message while I plan out the next 6 weeks of school. (It really is worth your time.)


6 comments:

  1. Isn't #10 the absolute best news, ever?
    I love you!
    P.S. It's 'affected'. I'll tell you how to always choose the right one if you tell me how to do simple math!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm wondering... at what sites do you do your online shopping? I'm an amazon addict, but I am not always sure they have the best deals....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting your blessings...God is so good.I can't wait to hear the praises when all are well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How refreshing!  I'm continuing to pray for restored health for all of you. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sarahellie - I guess it varies, depending on what/who I'm shopping for.Amazon is definitely high up there on the list for me, especially since I get 2-day free S&H. Even if their actual product price isn't the cheapest, not having to pay S&H often makes it at least comparable (if not cheaper)-- and it's hard to resist the convenience of 2-day shipping. These past birthday orders actually came from ebay, children's place, and educational warehouse (they were having a 25% off orders of $50 or more and they also had the cheapest starting price on the calico critters family I wanted to buy Aubrey, so while I was ordering I bought William's b-day gift from them along with art supplies to use for stocking stuffers for the kids this Christmas).I guess I do a lot of all-over-the-place online shopping.  But, yeah, definitely a lot from amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LisaMCriscitello - Okay, so I'm anxiously waiting the "secret" for knowing affected vs. effected!  But I don't know that I'm the person to get to help with simple math. 

    ReplyDelete