Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homeschooling made easier


I was tagged to share 5 things that make homeschooling easier for me.

1. Our curriculum. Wow, I can't say enough about how simplified my life is this year compared to last, thanks to this one. No more lesson planning the night before for me, which is pretty awesome since I've been falling asleep (no joke) around 8:30pm each night. It's easy to work with, too, meaning I can tweak and adjust and add and slash as I feel fits our needs/interests best.

2. Losing the classroom mentality, as Mom would say. It's a huge blessing that we're not subject to a bell, rigid periods, a pick-up-and-move-on-even-if-your-student-is-totally-enthralled-schedule-- and I find that we not only accomplish so much more when we take advantage of what's really piquing our interest on a particular day, but we enjoy learning so very, very much.

3. Having dinner planned at least by the time lunch rolls around, if not the day before (or whenever I might do thorough menu planning). 'Nough said.

4. CFA. This is a big one. Can I just say how nice it is to have an email arrive in my Inbox telling me a quarterly report is due vs. having to remember on my own? Or that it's really convenient to just write out the curriculum plans for each subject and have someone else type it all out in IHIP form and mail it in? Or how much simpler my life is because Friday Program includes choir, gym, art, etc.? So great.

5. Keeping our priorities streamlined and straight-forward. In this season of life, with four children under age 7 and another due any day, the simpler I keep our week, the better off I am-- and that trickles down to everyone. (If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, right???) Sometimes I start to wonder if I'm not exposing my kids to enough or giving them adequate opportunities, but then I remember that children thrived for decades with the simple pleasures and adventures of being outdoors, listening to their mother read aloud, enjoying games as a family, spending hours engaging in imaginative play, etc. There will be a season all too soon when music lessons, sports, historical society events, book clubs, and more will be an appropriate and wise use of our time and energy, but for now I am savoring this season of being a young family and not needing to be out and about a whole lot.


3 comments:

  1. #1-Yay for curriculums that are all planned out for us!!  I know what you mean about last year.  I don't know what it was...perhaps like you said the planning it all out, but I feel like last year was so much more hectic than this year!!
    #2 Totally agree!  Although we do keep a schedule of what's next and "about what time we do it", we just take how much time we need and move on.  So, relaxed!
    #5 Good reminder!  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love #1! I have nothing to compare it to but overall we are so very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for keeping the simple years simple while you can! Oh, how I love those simple years!! How I love the years of adventure as well, but, oh, how we must enjoy the season as it comes, and keep it pared back if we can!

    ReplyDelete