Thursday, September 10, 2009

Preparations


About a week ago, I was taking a shower and suddenly it hit me: I'm having a baby. I almost threw up from the panic attack right there and then.

Not because things have to be done around our home to prepare for the baby, but because at the end of the day, the baby has to be born. And as much as I mostly think that is just amazing and miraculous, there's a part of me that is absolutely dreading it.

How the baby arrives is, I suppose, technically up for debate. But not really. I'm 99.9% certain of my VBAC. Something really unexpected would have to happen for me to not get it.

My doctor is actually talking more and more positively about the VBAC the closer we get (as opposed to dropping hints about a repeat c-section, which my cynical self had been rather prepared for) and today he went so far as to say that he's feeling okay with me possibly going to 42 weeks, whereas when I first signed on with him he was saying he wouldn't be comfortable waiting more than 41 weeks. I'm feeling surprisingly healthy and strong (I guess my fresh commitment as of about 6 weeks ago to exercise pretty much daily has paid bigger dividends than I'd anticipated). The baby's head is engaged, which I was pretty sure happened within hours of my chiropractic adjustment on Tuesday afternoon and was confirmed at today's appointment.

Last week my order of End Game supplements arrived: 5-W and Evening Primrose Oil. I'll let you know if I think they make any difference. (I took 5-W the last couple weeks with Aubrey, but since she arrived via c-section I didn't really get a chance to see if it helped the labor or not.) I also have at least one more chiropractic adjustment lined up before the Big Day, which I'm really looking forward to since this past one left me feeling 100x improved (I hadn't realized how off-balance my hips actually were until she put them back where they belong!).

Every Tuesday (Daniel's day off) between now and October 18th has a special project lined up. The goal is to not only have some loose ends around the house tied up before the baby's arrival, but to even go so far as getting the infant car seat washed and ready before we leave for the hospital, which I'm embarrassed to admit was sadly neglected prior to both Jackson and Aubrey's births. And, hey, if I do well, I might actually get some sort of dresser or shelving unit emptied so that there is a place besides my bedroom floor to put baby clothes and cloth diapers. I'm not too worried about that... though perhaps I should be???

We've so far finished 6 units of our homeschooling curriculum and I hope to be done with 12 of the 34 units by mid-October. That should give us a nice cushion of time so that I can sit and stare at and smell the new baby to my heart's content.

Daniel's planning on coming to my doctor's appointment in 2 weeks so he can meet the man who will be delivering our baby. (He technically met him right before he delivered Aubrey, but I don't know that Daniel could even pick him out of a crowd since we were both rather preoccupied and misty-eyed at that time.) I've started thinking about the delivery itself and who I should call about being ready to watch the other kids. I'm going to try talking the CPH L&D staff into overlooking their 2 attendants rule so that some of my sisters can attend the birth (what do you think, Liz: can it be done?). I'm trying not to think too much about the fact that no matter how much I want the VBAC, it's still gonna hurt.

So, yeah, I've begun preparing. And I have to say, I'm starting to get very excited!


12 comments:

  1. Which chiropractor do you see? Are you going because you've had pain, or more prophylactically? (Just curious.)You sound like you're definitely going to be ready when this baby arrives! May the Lord bless your labor and delivery with smooth sailing and no unwelcome surprises.Hum, I wonder if your sisters went to a Lamaze-type class, would they be more likely to attend as "coaches"?Blessings!
    ~ Deb F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting time for all of us! I'm dreading the pain I'll soon be enduring as well, but I ABSOLUTELY can't wait to be holding our new little miracle!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Slatemaster - I went to Angela Rufa when I messed up my back at about 32w when pregnant with Aubrey, and she was amazing!  I had every intention of going back to her at the end of the pregnancy to get an adjustment prior before going into labor, but Aubrey came sooner than expected.I tend to have very long labors (my "short" labor was a solid 12 hours) and have only found out in the last couple years that regular chiropractic care at the end of pregnancy can often help shorten labors.  It makes sense that since I tend to have one hip that doesn't stay aligned-- even when I'm not pregnant-- my babies might not descend as effectively/quickly as possible.  Not to mention, in every delivery there's been at least one point when the pain from my hip actually surpasses the pain of labor.  If I can even just avoid that pain, that would be awesome; getting a shorter labor would be that much more amazing!I felt fine going to Angela on Tuesday, but I walked out realizing that what I've come to assume is par for the course in pregnancy (awkward "catches" in my hip when walking) doesn't have to be!  I still can't believe how much better I feel.  Just imagine how much more I would have enjoyed our hike on Monday had I gone to see her beforehand!  lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it a little sick that I'm actually looking forward to this birth.. .pain and all?! I don't know what's wrong with me! Sophia's was obviously awful and yet such a good experience that I can't help but have good thoughts about it. And how did you know your hips were out?... mine have been killing me this time around unlike any other and I just find it odd! And I'm glad Dr Lyons is maybe 'loosening' up a bit for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I'm looking forward to the labor and delivery (yes, even the pain of it).
    I am NOT looking forward to the IV. Will someone please pray for me???
    I'm nuts with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ReneeOckrin - @LisaMCriscitello - I don't think it's sick; in a bizarre sort of way, I always look forward to it, too.  In spite of the pain, it's invigorating and spectacular!  But then I get a BH or some faint remembrance of those moments that are inevitable and I think, "Nope, not quite ready for that yet!"Oh, don't even get me started on the heplock, though, Lisa.  Would you believe that the bruise on my hand after Jack was the longest part of my healing process?(Wait, that probably didn't help, did it?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ReneeOckrin - Oh, and Renee, my left hip has caused me problems as long as I can remember.  It was a regular thing when I took ballet for years that I would attempt a standard exercise/position only to not have my hip let me extend or turn my leg without some massaging, etc.  I think it gets exacerbated by pregnancy, which can cause real problems for me during labor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Brietta!  I can totally relate.  I remember in the weeks before Riley's birth I would be praying for a smooth delivery and suddenly realize "I'm PRAYING for a vaginal delivery??? I'm PRAYING for contractions and pain??? Am I CRAZY???"  But, considering the alternative, I think not!  
    I'll be praying for you.  May you have peace as you approach this task ahead of you!  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking about a chiropracter freaks me out.  I mean...do they "crack" your back and stuff????  I am so grossed about by people cracking knuckles, and necks.  When I think about  a chiropracter I think...cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @MrsRYoung - No cracking-- at least not in the adjustments I've had. Just really good bending and pushing and... ahhh...I'm the same way as you with the cracking stuff, and I was so skeptical about chiropractors.  When I went for the first time 2 years ago, it was because I could hardly sit without being in excruciating pain and I had to do something.  Imagine my surprise when I totally enjoyed the whole experience and walked out feeling completely restored!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does your chiropractor have specific experience/expertise in adjusting pregnant women, or is this something all chiropractors can do?  If it can help shorten labor (or even help in other ways) I think I might give it a try.  Also, I'm curious if there are specific benefits the supplements are supposed to offer for pregnant women...or are they meant to work just for overall strength and stamina?  And are they only for the very end of pregnancy?  I feel like I need all the help I can get this time around :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. @loribruehle - I don't think all chiropractors are comfortable working with pregnant women.  I had to ask around to find the one I go to.As for the supplements, they're just for the end of pregnancy.  The 5-W has a combination of herbs that are specifically designed to help tone your uterus (and, ideally, make labor quicker/more effective), but since it can cause cramping/contractions, it shouldn't be taken prior to 35w.  Also, the EPO is very much up-for-debate, but the idea is that the oil helps stimulate prostaglandin production, which softens your cervix (also, ideally, so that whenever labor hits, your cervix is quicker to respond).  Neither will "induce" labor, so to speak, but since the idea is that they speed things up, you don't want to risk encouraging pre-term labor, if that makes sense.I'd recommend getting a good daily vitamin like SuperMom for taking now (to help increase stamina), as well as taking Red Raspberry Leaf supplements ASAP (as that specifically helps strengthen female reproductive organs).  Do you think you're also anemic?  I can't even begin to tell you what a difference I notice if I forget to take my iron for a couple days.

    ReplyDelete