Friday, February 13, 2009

Tapping into grace


The results from my blood draw are in and my hemoglobin is fine. (I scored 12.9 on a normal range of 12-15.) It's good to know my body is functioning properly, but, boy, was I hoping for an explanation for my 16+ months of sheer exhaustion other than, "You're a mom with four little kids."

It's pretty easy to feel pity for myself. Aside from an occasional blip in the radar, I haven't slept through the night in over six years. Yikes.

But once again, as whenever I think to myself that I really bit off more than I can chew, I am reminded that even though I didn't exactly know what I was signing up for, God did. Sure, I knew sleep would become a prized commodity once I was a mom (I wasn't totally oblivious!), but I really couldn't comprehend going for years without sleeping through the night.

Then again, I couldn't really comprehend a lot of things about motherhood, just like I couldn't comprehend a lot of things about marriage. Just like I couldn't comprehend a lot of things about living my life completely and totally for Jesus, no matter how many people I talked to or how many books I read.

But is it worth it?

Of course!

And that is what keeps me going. And that's what I choose to meditate on. And that's what gets me through difficult nights and days that aren't my own to spend. And that's what helps me realize that the answer isn't just bucking up, but learning afresh to tap into the grace He freely bestows on all who come to Him for help.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Brietta - did you get your thyroid levels checked too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. My thyroid levels got out of whack after Erin was born. I've been on synthroid since and will be for life. I can really tell a difference in my fatigue if my dose is off or if I've missed a few b/c I haven't picked the new bottle up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to "3rd" the comment about the thyroid....get it checked...mine was out of whack and I ended up with all kinds of "hurts" and "I feel weird" going on. Make sure you get the TSH level checked....or the test beyond the basic test. It's THAT important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... maybe I will have to push for some thyroid testing!   It's odd to me as I'm finding out how common thyroid problems are that my doctor didn't even bring it up as a possibility.  Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very odd - there are so many females I know in our age group that have been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder.  It often occurs with a hormone fluctuation, such after pregnancy, so that could be very possible.  And it definitely does take your "zip" away if your levels aren't right.  It may be they could just add the test onto what you had done, if you had any other tests beside your hemoglobin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered doing a body cleanse of any sort? It's amazing
    how doing such can renew the zip. Herbalife has a very easy and
    affordable 21 day tablet cleanse we've used several times; being we're
    distributors and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good post.  It's so easy for us to get down on ourselves and feel that we need to be able to handle our kids, our homes, our husbands, our lives... whatever.  It is so true that we need His grace.  It is also true that we need to be reminded that we need Him!  Thank you!  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just yesterday I cried to Sonny, "I am in waaaaay over my head."  I don't have the same healthy perspective as you do, though.  So that makes it harder.  Glad you do! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya, i'm with backwoodsthinking, I need some of what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brietta, are you taking vitamins?  If so what kind?  Many kinds have actually been tested and show to create more free radical damage than if you didn't take them at all!
    Melaleuca's vitamins give me amazing energy.  AND, you can try their vitamins for 90 days - if you don't notice an improvement in your energy, which I think you would notice significantly, they will refund every penny!  Satisfaction guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late in reading the comments, but I wanted to be sure someone suggested you get your thyroid levels checked out.  I'm another one who became hypothyroid after my first baby and have been on medication ever since.  It's annoying that one of the main symptoms of an underactive thryoid is fatigue.  Well, when you're a new mom fatigue seems to be part of the package!

    ReplyDelete