Thursday, February 19, 2009

A few of my favorite things


Ever since we renovated our kitchen, I've been wanting to write a blog post about some of the things I really love about it. It's taken longer than I'd planned, but I like to think this will only add to its sincerity.

It probably goes without saying, but I love my kitchen. It has revolutionized my life, especially as a mom. Now my children like playing in that room while I work because there's room for them. (And I don't go nuts with them playing in there because I'm not tripping over them every time I turn around.) Cooking made a hundred times easier aside, that alone would be worth the renovation.

Needless to say, it's a little hard to pick my favorites, but I'll stick with the Top Ten.

*Be forewarned that this is a photo-heavy entry. Also, these Top Ten are in no particular order, other than what came next in the photo album.*

1. First up, I want to highlight one of the things I took for granted my whole life until being a wife for seven years with only two in either kitchen I lived in: drawers! When I told Eric (aka Cabinet Maker/Kitchen Dream Fulfiller) that I wanted a lot of drawers, he told me I could never have enough. In fact, I believe he said that nobody ever regrets putting lots and lots of drawers in their kitchen.

Truth be told, I didn't really care what anybody else felt, I just knew I wanted 'em!

And now I do: seven glorious drawers!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


2. Next up is a little something I'd hoped for, didn't think would fit, and that Eric snuck in for me after scrounging for a few spare inches. If you know me, you know it's bliss for me to have this.

And, no, for the record, they're not alphabetically organized.

(They're organized by "type.")

Photobucket


3. Another favorite new feature is the pocket door we had Bill (aka House Overhauler/Big Picture Keeper) install between the dining room and kitchen. Let me tell you, it's already come in really handy, and we've barely scratched the surface.

For example, New Year's Eve when we stayed up really late playing games, we set up a big table in the kitchen and pulled the door shut so the kiddies could sleep undisturbed. Awesome!

Photobucket
As you can see, Aubrey thinks it's pretty cool, too.


4. Out of the 7 wall cabinets, we had Eric make 2 of them with glass fronts. I would have done even more, except that at some point I just had a lot of stuff I didn't exactly want visible to everyone who walks through. You know, like lunch boxes, paper napkins, and baking soda.

All in all, 2 out of 7 is perfect. The glass opens the kitchen up that much more and lets me put out my more attractive things, while still shoving the 5lb bag of sugar behind a door where nobody can see it. Here's one:

Photobucket


5. Okay, now on to appliances. Wow, am I so glad we bought new ones! I can't believe how archaic and, um, dysfunctional some of our old ones were! I feel so blessed that we were able to do this. And that my husband, after choking on the fact that it's actually legal to charge $1000 for something that keeps your food cold, told me we should go for it.

What a guy.

Readers, meet my range, the love of my kitchen life:

Photobucket

Photobucket
Okay, bad second picture. (Man, my photography skills are terrible!)
Still, here I am demonstrating the awesome ability to bake cookies and bread simultaneously. Did I mention that it has 2 separate timers (with the option of delays on both), too?
And the glass cooktop? Yeah, it's a dream. Totally makes up for the disadvantages of cooking with electric.


6. Almost equally as awesome as the range is the refrigerator. It's amazingly huge and comes with all sorts of controls for keeping everything just right.

I love the freezer on the bottom. I was nervous about the pull-out drawer vs. swing-door, but I am completely converted and will never go back. It's so much easier to organize and access, which is especially imperative as long as I only have the one freezer.

And it has an ice maker.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


7. And, yes, it's true that our dishwasher isn't anything remarkable. Except that it is! And it doesn't even hook up to the kitchen sink when in use, which might not sound like that big a deal, except that going without the kitchen sink for even an hour is... a pain.

I'm thankful for it, that's for sure. It saves me a great deal of time everyday, especially since I'm one of those people who will wash dishes about once an hour because I can't stand having even a couple dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter.

Photobucket


8. Now, my microwave. Yes, yes! This is the first time since getting married that I've owned a full-size microwave, which is just way cool for leftover nights. I love that it's above the range, saving valuable counterspace. I especially  love that we picked it up for a song and a dance because it was technically last year's model (though not a bit different from this year's, aside from a product number).

Photobucket



9. I have to mention the recessed lighting. Wow! What a difference it's already made! My old kitchen had one little light above the sink and then one fixture in the middle of the room that was so ugly I rarely turned it on. Now I have four recessed lights (one isn't shown in the below picture because it's over the little hutch). Lighting is so important!

Photobucket


10. I cannot say enough about our floors. They are astonishingly amazing.

No, really, pretty much everyone thinks they're about the coolest thing ever. They're not hardwood, but they look it. And I know you're thinking right now that there's no way faux hardwood looks like the real thing. Believe me, I was the most skeptical person out there. In fact, when we realized hardwood was out of the question for us, I was about to go another route entirely: ceramic tile (which I must confess did make me tremble for our water glasses). Then Bill showed us this flooring and, to my surprise, the sample looked... good!? I figured we could get it for now and then replace it down the road whenever we have money for the "real thing." But I don't think we ever will. These floors have won me completely.

It's not laminate: it's even cheaper. It's not hardwood: it's waterproof.

And it looks terrific.

Photobucket


And with that Top Ten, I'll stop gushing.

I promise.

Okay... except that I want to do some highlights of the rest of the space, too. Like, the mudroom/laundry room with the cool little shelves Bill built in for me. And the cathedral ceiling. And the view, which is amazing. But we still have a lot of chipping away to do before it's all finished so, fortunately for you, I think it will be some months before that Top Ten comes your way.


19 comments:

  1. One word : WOW! 

    Your kitchen is a dream, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! A roomy, workable kitchen is a blessing for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very COOL! Love all the eggs in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very glad that you are happy with what you chose and I know Eric will be, too! The absolute favorite part of his work is helping people like The Paladin's complete their dream kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen looks awesome!!! I'll second the "wow"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful!  You guys did an excellent job!!!  Hey, just 2 other things.  If you ever get a chance, could you e-mail or post your black beans and rice recipe?  I heard you mention it once and would love to know what it is.  Also, I read about Aubrey's surgery, and you're more than welcome to stay at our house again!  We would love to have you.  .We'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! 
    (And brave for posting a pic of the inside of your fridge.  You are a better housewife than I.  )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the spice rack!  I've never seen one like that - how convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the pics of an "in action" renovation - it is so much homier than when we were working on it.  Fun.  =)  It make all the time and work worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful!  I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was so much fun!  Thanks for sharing!  Someday we will have a real kitchen again!    One question:  I was recently thinking about the fridge on top design.  My kids have been getting stuff in an out a lot (especially their water) I don't know if they would be able to reach with that design?  Is that a problem for you, or have you just worked around it?Also, I want to know what kind of flooring it is?  It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jackie - Well, after I posted the picture I thought about explaining the cardboard box in the fridge because it looks a little bizarre, but then I figured, hey! why not keep it real?!?!(And the box is Aubrey's synagis medication that arrives monthly and has to be refrigerated until the home healthcare nurse comes to administer it! )

    ReplyDelete
  13. @eyestotheeast - Are you kidding?!?!   It looked great even while you guys were working on it!Now I can't wait to get the family room really pulled together (ie curtains, rugs, furniture, etc.) so that I can show off the cathedral ceiling, exposed beams, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @mom2mkei_2 - This is the flooring.  I particularly like the hickory finish because the knots give it a very "real" look.(We paid $1.76/sq ft in store.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @AHappyHousewife - Gabriel can get the gallon of milk and pitchers of juice of off that shelf you see in the picture for breakfast.  That particular shelf is hard for Jackson to reach, but there are plenty of other lower places to keep water bottles for kids.  So, no, it's not been a problem for us.And I love the freezer on the bottom.  I knew for sure I wanted that.  After having lived with both, I can wholeheartedly say that it's much more convenient.  Think about how much more often you're getting things in and out of the refrigerator than the freezer;  it's much less of a hassle to be on your hands and knees/bending way over for an occasional freezer raid/put away!   I'm still trying to figure out why they even put freezers on the top, honestly!We got this flooring.  Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Brietta,  I have no idea why I am signed in as Phyllis but this is Gramma Sally.  Your kitchen is just beautiful and I hope that someday I will see it in person.  Thank you so much for the great pictures at least I can enjoy it on line.  I also loved the pictures of Gabriel playing basketball.  We sure would love to be able to see him play.  Love,  Great Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well worth the wait, I'm sure!
    Rick and I were looking at that exact same range; and held of purchasing it because we weren't sure about a couple of things.  One, was losing the space for my cookie sheets, pie pans, etc. that go in the bottom drawer of our current range.  But the other was this, and maybe you can answer these questions:  Would the bottom oven be large enough to cook a huge, say, 27+ lb. turkey?  And, would we be on our knees pulling it out from the bottom oven?
    I loved the range, other than those two questions - so we are still pondering.... Let me know what you think.
    Congrats on the place looking so great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @obx - I have never been a big fan of the drawers under ovens (they've always driven me a little crazy, honestly!), so I wasn't sad to say good-bye to that.  Of course, it helped that I was able to make sure I had good spots for pots/pans, cookie sheets, etc. elsewhere since I was redesigning the entire room!And, yes, the lower oven is exactly the same size as a normal oven.  The only thing different is that the standard drawer/boiler at the bottom is replaced with a smaller oven on top.  So a turkey that would fit a standard oven will fit in there.  (I've never actually cooked a 27lb turkey, so I can't say for sure... !)You probably would be on your knees, or bending way over, to remove a turkey, but I have to say that I find I use the bottom oven so rarely (and even when I do, it's usually for things like bread that rises a lot but is so light that I just reach down and pull it out) that the occasional bending isn't a problem.   The convenience of the top oven-- which easily fits cookie sheets for baking cookies, biscuits, etc., pies, casseroles, brownies, etc. AND preheats in an unbelievably quick amount of time (and is far more energy efficient since it's heating far less space)-- outweighs an inconvenience of the big oven being lower.When I went to buy this range, I asked the salesman what negative feedback he'd gotten about the double-oven style.  He said none.  Also, the couple other people I know who have this sort of range LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete