Monday, December 23, 2013

Oliver's birth, part VI

The real excitement of Oliver's birth actually took place after.

Like I said, immediately following delivery, there was calm. Nobody was in a hurry. I didn't feel the normal frenzy about how slow my placenta was to deliver; the doctor just took one minute at a time. The pediatric nurse was in no rush to weigh and measure Oliver. It was so nice.

Eventually the placenta delivered, Oliver was evaluated, and they gave me a bolus of pitocin, which is something I've received post-delivery at every birth since Jackson's, when I hemorrhaged fairly significantly. I was checked and declared tear-free, other than a minor abrasion that must be quite miniscule because it hasn't bothered me at all. Whew. That always makes recovery so much better!

Daniel went out to get food for me. I felt badly about the fact that he was going out in the middle of the night on one of the coldest nights I can remember (-24* F), but I guess he probably would have done anything for me right about then. And I am always ravenous after giving birth, so the idea of waiting until morning for food just wasn't going to cut it.

We all ate a little and then Mom and Camilla headed out. The nurse told me they were ready to move me to postpartum whenever I was up for it. I told her I wanted to use the bathroom and then I'd like to get settled for the night. It was probably close to 1am.

Well, using the bathroom got exciting when I passed a clot at least the size of a softball (I honestly wasn't sure at first whether or not there was a second placenta, it was so big). That was weird, but I would just head back to bed, I figured, and be fine. Fortunately, the nurse was right there, because when I stood up and she asked, "Are you okay?" all I could say was, "Yes... um... no... um... no, I'm not okay."

The next thing I knew, I was staring up at the bathroom ceiling, Daniel's voice was behind me, there were about 4 nurses faces all around, and I was getting my first-ever whiffs of smelling salts (awful). At first I wasn't sure where I was. For some reason I thought I was at church?! It took me a minute to remember: oh yeah... I just had a baby... it's a boy... I'm at the hospital... did I faint???

Fainting after passing that much of a blood clot when I'm already so anemic wasn't too shocking, so after a call to the doctor and getting me re-settled, they decided I was okay.

Head down to postpartum. Get settled. Have to use the bathroom again, not thinking it will be a big deal. The nurse walks me in and I'm fine; she steps out and continues settling the room for me. I go to stand and I feel myself getting woozy again. Call for Daniel because I haven't learned the new nurse's name.

Next thing I know, more smelling salts and more nurses crowding around and Daniel holding me.

After that, I was hooked back up to an IV so they could pump me with fluids in an attempt to replace the blood volume I'd lost. I also wasn't allowed to get up to use the bathroom by myself for about 8 hours, but I wasn't about to. Fainting once had been weird. Fainting a second time in such close succession felt a little scary, to be honest!

Fortunately, Oliver was being a dream through the entire thing. And by 10am (about 7 hours after I finally got really settled!), I was feeling much more like my normal self. My hemoglobin levels were down to 6.5 (normal range is 12-15), but I've been down this road before and was fairly confident that as long as I could keep my blood loss to a minimum from that point on, I'd be fine.

Dr. Barrett stopped in and said I was looking much better, but they'd re-draw my blood the next morning. Which is when I must have been feeling very bold, seeing as I'd not exactly had a stellar night, because I said-- somewhat hesitantly-- "I was really hoping to go home today. I mean, I won't go if I'm feeling really weak. But I'd like the option to leave later today if I'm feeling okay."

He tipped his head to the side and said, "Well, you look good now. And you've done this before. I don't see any reason to keep you. We'll just have to get the pediatrician to clear Oliver and then it's fine with me if you leave, as long as you're really feeling okay."

I'm not sure if my mouth was hanging open, but it must have been. I've never had a doctor be so accommodating!

The pediatrician did end up approving an early discharge (which one nurse told us is almost unheard of for this particular doctor) and so, after giving myself more time and lots more fluid, enjoying a visit from Louissa, indulging in a Chipotle burrito, and some paperwork confusion (it wouldn't be a true hospital stay without at least a few delays!), we left Tuesday evening a few hours before Oliver was 24 hours old.


We arrived home to a houseful of beautiful babies all snuggled in their beds, thanks to Aunt Liana's tender care in our absence.

(I have the best sisters. I just do.)


And then this angel slept for 9 hours, with one good feeding half-way through. I woke the next morning in my own bed, surrounded by my children, and feeling blessed beyond measure. This delivery did not start the way I had planned, but God had showed Himself faithful to me.

Again.

I told a friend a few days earlier that as much as I have struggled with wondering "why?"
at times (why Aubrey's heart? why the c-section? why no easy VBACs where I live? why going post-dates and needing an induction?), mostly I know that God has always provided what I need at the time I need it: small things, big things, things that I struggle to trust Him for, and many things that I take for granted, if I'm truly honest. May I let Him use my life to testify of His tender care in all things!

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
 Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger;
But those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I've loved reading Oliver's birth story! I had four natural births and wouldn't have wanted it any other way! Congratulations again.

    I hope you'll share how/ why you chose his name, which I LOVE!!

    Merry merry Christmas to your sweet family! God bless!

    ReplyDelete