Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas

Before we actually launch into the year 2014 (and by the way, Calendar, I just barely adjusted to writing "2013" on things, so thanks a lot for that), I wanted to celebrate one more time what a wonderful, sweet Christmas season we had. It's been perhaps my favorite ever. Not only did I have a precious newborn to hold and enjoy these past two weeks, but on top of that it was the calmest Christmas I've had in years, thanks to all the insane nesting I did to prepare for a baby (including having all my shopping done before December, all my wrapping done by the end of the first week in December, and all my baking finished by Oliver's birth on the 16th). I should make an early deadline for myself every year so that in the days leading up to Christmas I can sit and appreciate the true meaning of the holiday with my children all around and the hustle and bustle behind us!

cookies by the tree, just because

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were very, very special. In fact, this year's Christmas morning was one even the smallest of my children slowly drank in, not rushing through their stockings or gifts, but joyfully, patiently, and thankfully savoring each moment. I would bottle it all up if I could, but the limited pictures (my camera died early on) in my possession will have to suffice.

so magical...

Thanks to our traditional Christmas Eve dinner menu being a simple one, we were able to host the meal like usual despite me being just a short 8 days postpartum. Setting the tables, lighting candles, and having family in my home is such a big part of the holiday to me; I was thankful to be able to continue our tradition as usual, in large part due to Daniel and the kids helping me with every aspect of the preparations.

 we had my grandparents, parents, 7 of my siblings and their spouses/children, and Josh here for the meal: 27 at 3 tables-- 31 including babies!

 I received TWO of these precious nativity sets, made by Jackson and Aubrey at their Friday School art class and gifted to me that day so that I could decorate tables with them

Lest you think it was all candlelight and pleasantness, I will include our attempt at a photo before heading out to our annual Candlelight Service following the meal. Elliot was less than thrilled.

the rest of them did okay, right???

He did better after the service when Daniel was able to hold him. What can I say? He loves us.
  first family photo with Oliver!

Following the Candlelight Service at church, we eat cookies (what else?!), the children exchange gifts with one another, and we read the Christmas story again. At the service, we get to hear the story as found in Luke 2 so at home Daniel chooses a different rendition each year from among our ever-growing Christmas book selection, which I love. I find myself considering all the events of that momentous night differently when looked at through the lens and words of each varying author.


We tuck the children in bed and then set about the fun task of tucking any "unwrappable" gifts under/around the tree and stuffing stockings. It took longer than usual this year since we were taking turns holding Oliver, who was pretty intent on tanking up for what ended up being his best night of sleep so far, but we got ourselves into bed before the clock struck 12.

And in the morning...
 
the tree...

 the stockings...

overjoyed babies, every one of them...

Thanks to Danica, Christmas breakfast was taken care of for me. Cinnamon buns and clementines and cold milk or hot coffee, depending on one's preference.

Then presents!

 a fun stack of gifts all tied together!

diving in!

After unwrapping the gifts, enjoying the contents for a while, and then readying ourselves, we headed over to my parents' to open a few more gifts with the relatives and to share Christmas dinner.

how many more years before my parents' large family room can no longer contain us???

the boys' Christmas dinner table

I am so blessed. By my family. By my children. By my husband.

But most of all, this celebration and the makings of it are all for one history-altering and life-changing reason: Jesus came to save. I am in awe of His plan, in awe of how He used and uses people, in awe of how simple and wonderful and unfathomable and near and good the Gospel is.

I am in awe that each year I get to make what feels like such a big deal to me and yet is barely enough to acknowledge the bigness of what He did so many years ago and He is blessed and honored by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment