Monday, December 2, 2013

decking the halls

This past weekend we set about decking the halls of the little yellow house. While it's true that I usually aim to decorate for Christmas throughout the weekend following Thanksgiving, I may have set a new record even for myself this year: the house was garbed by Friday evening, the tree was gotten Saturday morning, and the first batch of cookies were baked Sunday afternoon.

Some call it nesting. I myself tend to think it's just the crazy behaviors of a woman who knows not how much time she has left to tie up loose ends before hunkering down with a new baby.

Getting the tree is always a highlight of the Christmas season for me. I'm sure many people just look it as a lot of work; I think it's tremendous fun.

Most years we have a baby/toddler who sleeps in the vehicle through the entire outing. This was Elliot's turn. The rest of us had a blast tromping through the snow, choosing [quickly, due to the frigid temperatures!] which tree would be ours, bringing it home.




Upon arrival home, we turn and adjust the tree to choose just the right side, we carefully string lights and unfurl handmade-by-Bronwyn crocheted garland, and then we lavishly arrange ornaments.




And what first day of advent would be complete around here without fresh Christmas cookies, brown paper packages tied up with string, and new pajamas (or nightgowns, in the case of three very pleased little girls)?

(And a crying baby in the group photo.
Just keepin' it real, folks.)




It really might be the most wonderful time of the year!

1 comment:

  1. I love your little family, that little yellow house, and your precious Christmas traditions. Thanks for letting us have a peek inside your world. I'm taking notes! ;)

    ReplyDelete