Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The birth story, part 2


Continued from part 1.
--------------------------

It was about 12:30am when we got to the operating room.

The OR was terrible-- it was everything I wouldn't consider ideal for a birth. Instead of dim lighting and candles, there were bright fluorescent spotlights dizzying me. Instead of warmth, it was freezing cold to the point that I had to focus hard even in-between contractions on staying relaxed (the L&D nurse who came with us tried her best to compensate with warm blankets, bless her heart). Instead of soothing sounds, there was the clanking of metal instruments and the chaotic bustle of the OR staff (no offense to them, but they make terrible L&D staff). Instead of comfortable seating, there was the narrow and hard operating table that I ended up having to remain on the whole time because every time I moved around, we lost the baby's heart rate (I had portable monitors, but even just laying on my side made it impossible to trace the baby).

I could tell Daniel was nervous, though he was trying his best to mask his concern. We both knew how much environment has played a part in either encouraging or stalling my labors in the past. This environment seemed to indicate doom.

But I wasn't concerned, somehow. I have never before in my life so tangibly felt the Holy Spirit coming alongside me to help me. It was awful in that room, but it was a beautiful thing just the same. I knew I couldn't rely on my doctor (I like the guy, but he's a paranoid doctor when it comes down to it), I knew I couldn't rely on the environment, I knew I couldn't rely on any sort of physical comforts; but I knew I could rely on the Lord. His peace is beyond comprehension-- and that meant that right then and right there I could experience peace that simply didn't make sense. This was a time for me to work with my body and trust Him for the rest. It was surreal and amazing, honestly.

The contractions kept increasing in strength and frequency. We found the best way to keep a strip going on the baby while keeping me off my back (which made the contractions super painful) was to have Daniel sit on the OR table behind me so I could lean against him in a fairly upright position. I tried my best to think of the contractions as waves that were washing from my head down to move the baby down, and that helped me never once "fall behind" a contraction.

At around 1:45am (before the clocks changed!), I suddenly felt a gush of fluid with a contraction. The doctor was right near me at that moment and I asked him (somewhat accusingly, I admit!), "Did you break my water?" He looked at me surprised and held up his hands, "No, Mrs. Paladin, I certainly did not!"

For the first time ever, my membranes ruptured spontaneously.

He checked me and I was 7cm and the baby was +2. I think we all knew that with the sac ruptured and the baby that low, things would pick up even more quickly.

I started feeling sick to my stomach. I had to be completely silent during contractions so that I could shut everything out except working with my body. There was a lot more pressure from the baby's head with each contraction. At one point I wasn't sure I could keep going, but then the nurse commented to the doctor that she had never seen someone be so quiet and peaceful during transition in all her 14 years of nursing, and that gave me the boost of confidence I needed that I was doing okay and that I could finish this thing.

At around 2:05am (old time-- it was now technically 1:05am), I heard the nurse quickly telling the doctor that she could sense me bearing down a bit with the contractions. Surprised, I realized for myself that she was right. I've never before had an urge to push during labor-- I've always had to have a midwife/doctor tell me to try bearing down with the next contraction before that pushing instinct would take over-- but here I was pushing without even realizing it. The doctor checked me and in 20 minutes I had gone from 7cm to pretty much fully dilated and the baby was +2. He didn't want me pushing quite yet because there was a slight lip on my cervix and he wanted me to let a couple contractions move the lip aside, though he did say once that was done, the baby was so low it wouldn't take long to deliver.

I laid on my side at that point, not caring about the strip on the baby and basically telling everyone in the room as much. I couldn't think of any other way to keep from pushing too soon.

I lasted 2 contractions like that without pushing, but then on the 3rd, I couldn't stop myself from pushing. The nurse told me to go with it (she was amazing, by the way, in the way she ran interference between the doctor's preferences and what I needed) and that she and Daniel would help me move back to a more upright position for pushing so that they could trace the baby during this critical time.

2 contractions worth of pushing later, the baby was completely delivered at 2:19am (old time) and there was a huge collective sigh of relief throughout the room. I sank back against Daniel and could only say, "We did it... we did it..." It took me a minute to even realize I still didn't know if I had a son or daughter!

Claire was taken almost immediately to the warmer because it was so cold in the OR. At first I was very upset because I wanted to be holding her, but-- not unusual for me-- there was some trouble getting the placenta delivered and I probably would have had to release her to the nurse even if we'd been in a regular L&D room so that I could focus on that. About 15 minutes after Claire arrived, the placenta was delivered, but it was jagged and torn in one corner (possibly what had caused the bleeding the night before that first brought me into the hospital) and so my doctor decided to do 2 full hand sweeps of my uterus to remove the rest, and also to check the incision from the c-section I had 2 years ago. That was excruciatingly painful and the first time the whole night that I yelled. Fortunately, it seems to have helped a lot because I have lost a lot less blood so far than I did after previous deliveries.

I did tear a little bit, but it was only worthy of one stitch and was old, brittle scar tissue from tearing with Gabriel that was the culprit. I barely feel it, honestly.

We were brought back down to L&D around 3am (old time). Claire had trouble maintaining her body temperature for the first 12 hours or so of her life, so I did lots of snuggling to help her out. She had the most peaceful beginning hours of all my babies so far.

Daniel wasn't able to spend the night because the floor was packed and I was sharing a room with someone else (whose husband also had to go home because of me). That normally would have been horribly disappointing, but I think we were all on such an emotional high after the birth that it didn't phase either of us.

All in all, I look back on this birth as what should have been the worst, but was the best. There was so much that wasn't ideal: a hyper and paranoid doctor, a bright and obnoxious OR environment, laboring pretty much the whole time in the hospital, Daniel not being able to spend those first hours with Claire and me, etc. And yet it was the least intervened-with, fastest, and most peaceful birth just the same: 3-4 hours total of active labor, spontaneous rupture of the membranes, a self-initiated pushing stage, least amount of blood loss, etc.

It's beautiful to me, really. I see the hand of God all over it. I had poured over books this pregnancy that talk about the "ideal" ways to deliver, but in the end days of the pregnancy, I really had to come to terms with the fact that no environment can compare with trusting the Lord-- and I found that to be amazingly true. If I knew then some of the things I know now, there's a lot I would have changed; but the bottom line is that He knew what I would face and He walked with me through it all, which is better than perfect circumstances any day.

Now we are home and absolutely loving this time with Claire. I feel so good, I honestly can't even believe it. I barely feel like life skipped a beat, and yet we now have this amazing addition of a sweet and precious little girl! She is nursing well (and so is Aubrey, for those who are curious!) and sleeps great at night so far. The kids all adore her and-- sure enough-- I wonder how we were a family before her; she fits.

God is so good and I am in awe of the testimony of Claire's arrival. It is better than I ever dared ask for, and yet so consistent with the gracious nature of our Father, I wonder why I ever expected less.


23 comments:

  1. Such beautiful posts! God's mercy and goodness are so evident in your writing.
    I am praising God that all is well for you and Claire!

    catzndogz9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is such an awesome update and I feel that all my questions are totally answered, haha... inculding whether Aubrey was still nursing well or not!
    I cannot believe you delivered on an operating table!  I'm in awe!  I'm also amazed that you were able to ride out transition and delivery without a peep! 
    I have to confess that I became queasy at just the mention of the uterine hand sweeps.  That sounds beyond horrible and I'm so glad it was worth it in the end!
    You know, after 4 deliveries, I would have said that things were the way they were and that you would probably never have the urge to push, etc... How awesome that this delivery set a totally new blueprint for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you posted this story on here.  You are a strong woman Brietta! 
    Claire is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful testimony! Thanks so much for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, amazing and wonderful story.  Sitting -and waiting- on the other side still, you have yet again encouraged me and strengthened my resolve.  Thank you for making the time to post this so quickly.  It is a gift to me
    Do you mind if I post a link to this on the vbac birth forum?  I can think of many who will be encouraged just by the story but your added testimony of Gods grace and provision is even more exciting! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Written so well.  We are all so excited and happy for you!  What a great testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very happy, in spite of the environment, that you were able to find Holy Spirit comfort during your time of birthing.  I still think the doctor (or whoever made you birth in the OR) should be ashamed of themselves.  Utterly ashamed of themselves.  This further adds to my complete disgust for the medical community.  What they gain in technology they lose in common sense and respect for the tender mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for "wave" analogies. They totally help!And yay for the Holy Spirit. You're right; when it comes down to it, He's the one who hears our cries and delivers us. Period.And even from this far away West Coast, I know that Claire already fits. I can picture her in the buzz and busyness of your little yellow house, and it's perfect, like there was a spot in my mind reserved for her.  I like that. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit emotional these days but as I was reading this I was fighting back tears! God's goodness is just so amazing and your ability to trust in HIM is so refreshing and encouraging. I'm so happy that this time has allowed you to view your body and birth in a whole new light! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what an awesome testimony! It sounds so close to how my second son's birth was. It was an amazing time and I am praying for the same experience with the twins! I always have a good birth, but this time i want it to be just like my seconds sons birth or even better! I am so happy for you and we do serve a great God who cares about us through every circumstance we face! She is beautiful! Blessings to you and your family! 

    ReplyDelete
  11. @BaCkWooDsThInkiNG - It's technically hospital policy, though my doctor is a huge advocate of it.  I'm hopeful that, should there be a next time, the one other doctor who does VBACs here will be more ready to take me on (she told me last March that she thought I would be better off in the care of this OB because of Aubrey's health history and the fact that I'd not yet had a successful VBAC), because she's a lot more lenient and ready to "fudge" the rules.  And, as much as I hated the OR, I know my doctor was just nervous.  I feel like man just needs to get saved so that he can realize that management is not the answer to life's challenges, but that Jesus is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @StraderMom - I certainly don't mind you posting it if you think it could be an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post, amazing testimony......thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One scary birth followed by the easiest birth.  That must have been such a relief, right?  Having a c-section in the OR is hard enough but having to actually concentrate on the birth....ugh!  Glad everything went well and that your new baby is here!  How do you think homeschooling will be with this new addition?  Does Aubrey mind sharing nursing priviledges with Claire? What did your doctor say about your c-section scar? 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Brietta :)
    What a lovely story! We are praising the Father with you all. She is so, so beautiful.
    Love & hugs & joy!
    Quinne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brietta, not sure if you remember me...we left Potsdam back in 2001.  I am just about to give birth to our second after a not-so-ideal first birth experience.  I just finished Ina May's book and have had such high hopes for an "ideal" second experience but already things are looking...unusual (good and healthy, though!).  Anyway, your story encouraged me that a hospital birth can still be a blessing and a testimony...I see the doctor again tomorrow, prepared to fight for what I want but knowing I may be over-ruled...but either way, I know the LORD is with me and my daughter is ultimately in His hands!  Thanks for sharing...and congratulations!Tracy Mang Wood

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do ALL #5 babies have chunky, squishy, edible cheeks? lol
    Love you guys! SOOOOOOO glad to hear this amazing testimony...especially about "not skipping a beat"! I am so encouraged that God always gives us who we need always at the right time

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a beautiful family!  My oldest daughter delivered her 3rd baby in an OR because the Dr's thought they were going to have to do a C-section.  Surprise, surprise.  It sounds like you are nursing 2.  I nursed all of mine, but never 2 at a time.  It was nice to read your story and hear that your were/are trusting the Lord.  

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful testimony/birth story! Thanks so much for sharing it! I am so glad to hear you are feeling so well and she is safely home with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on Claire's safe and smooth arrival!  God is good!  I had my second child (who is now 14!!)  in a bright green operating room on a hard, narrow table and it's something I wouldn't want to do again.  I'm so glad you had a such a great experience!  May your joys be many and your transition be smooth as you welcome sweet Claire to your family!  Jen
    MD

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see the hand of God all over this too!  Remember Jesus didn't have perfect conditions for his birth, not even a midwife!  But it was God's perfect plan.  He plans so much better than we do!  I am so happy for you all!  And so glad your labor went so well.  

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!! What a beautiful birth story to go with your beautiful little girl!I'm due in a little over 2 weeks and have been struggling lately with trusting God, his timing, and L&D, oh and we're also in the process of selling our house (just got an offer on it today!) Needless to say that a few days ago I took some time and really dug into God's word and spending some time in his presence, something I'd been avoiding for some reason. It really helped. Now hearing Claire's birth story that peace continues to surround me. I know no matter what happens things are going to work out just fine with baby, house, everything.Thanks for sharing and God bless your sweet family!
    Tarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to say that I LOVED this!  I read it on my phone right after you posted it, but forgot to come back and leave a comment.  It was so encouraging to me to see how the Lord worked in these less than hoped for circumstances!  As I approach our baby's birth, there are many things that aren't going to be the way that I want them.  Thanks for the reminder that He can be there in spite of it! 

    ReplyDelete