Friday, September 3, 2010

Change


There's been a gradual change in my house, gradual enough that it's really caught me unawares: some of my toddlers have become children.

In general, I still think of myself as being a young mom with a small brood clinging to her apron strings. Then-- Bam!-- something happens to help me realize that, actually, my apron strings are getting longer and longer, the older children are growing more and more independent, and I am quickly losing my excuse in motherhood of being "new" to it. (Don't worry: there are plenty more other excuses I'll come up with, I'm sure.)

This morning I had one of those moments. I was scribbling out a chore list, trying desperately to battle the clutter and dirt that is collecting while I nurse a sinus infection and what I suspect is a developing case of strep throat. It looked like this:

Gabriel:
clean downstairs bathroom
fold laundry
dust family room & mudroom

Bronwyn:
clean upstairs bathroom
fold laundry
dust dining room & my bedroom

Jackson:
collect garbage from bathrooms
sweep kitchen
dust living room & music room

Aubrey:
collect laundry from bedroom hampers
pick up puzzles (that Claire had dumped out)

And then it went on to list the things I would take care of.

I don't know... it was just one of those Reality of the Passing of Time moments. As I made these hurried notes, I couldn't help but feel like my mom. I remember those days when she would dole out assignments and... well... I wasn't a toddler then... which I guess means that my children aren't all toddlers either.

But when did this happen? How did they get big enough for responsibility? And who said they could grow up so fast???


6 comments:

  1. Goodness, I understand. Not to the same capacity since I've only got 2 so far, but my 3-year-old son Jack is just completely blowing me away with his sudden independence right now. Some things, as simple as being able to get his own water from the fridge, or climb the ladder on the bunk bed, or carry a grocery bag inside, totally amaze me. It's bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm trying to be all sad with you about how fast your kids are growing, but SEND SOME OF THOSE BATHROOM CLEANERS OVER HERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just awesome! and yet sure, probably a little bitter at the same time. But WOW really sweet too! for you, especially feeling sick! Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's happening here, too.  Finding it quite exciting!  I love being a mom, and so appreciate peeking at your blog, because it's obvious that you love being a mom, too. 
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because of your diligence, training, and good momma-ing some day you will have a list similar to mine, that you will want to accomplish in a weekend, and you will be able to do it.  Because they will help.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's the one kind of change I can live with!!! Sounds like a team effort and a good one at that. You've done such a great job training and integrating them into your life. You are one awesome mama! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete