Thursday, January 28, 2010

My little reminder


I received so many wonderful and greatly wanted/needed gifts for Christmas: professional quality muffin tins from Julia, a bedskirt for our bed from Daniel (yes, this is what I really wanted-- I guess I'm too practical/home-centered to want things like jewelry or special trips, etc!), a huge ceramic water pitcher from my in-laws, music books for lots of fun with the kids from my parents, and on and on it goes.

But I got one special, special gift from my big sister that you will often find me staring at, especially on those days when I think I just want to throw the towel in and let everybody figure out what they're going to eat, where they're going to sleep, how they're going to get dressed, and when they should go to the bathroom on their own.

It's not just that it's adorably wonderful. It's not just that it represents my own darling family-- us, captured as we are right now. It's not just that it was handmade, a special order with us in mind. It's that sometimes, some days, it's just what I need to look at to remember how blessed I am.

Photobucket

I'm blessed to have five little people running around my feet.

I'm blessed to have a husband who takes an amazingly active role in our children's lives, in my life, and in our home.

I'm blessed to have pretty things to look at and a cozy house to put them in.

I'm blessed to have extended family, like my sister, who love all of us so much.

I'm blessed that all of this comes from a Father who gives me heaps and heaps more than I deserve.

And, somehow, in a very calming and reassuring way, this little gift of miniature people helps me-- in a glance (or a long look, if need be!)-- remember all that I've been given, and how I have a great big God Who is watching over us all.


6 comments:

  1. Cute family.  Are they made out of wood with acorn hats?  And I can't help looking at that green flowery possible vase? behind them.  What is it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely precious. The gift and the family that inspired it. Love you -- have a great "hostessing" day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brietta, you need one of these: http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=58051&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=843&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=127634522I requested and got one for christmas and we sold our other one that also had a broken cord.  It's very portable, easy to use, lightweight, easy to carry, and only 300 dollars at walmart.  There are fun colors.  I got purple.  And it also has a built in webcam!  Thought I'd pass the info along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. **tearing**
    (Call me emotional.)
    Blessed, we are. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MrsRYoung - They're actually made of wire that's then tightly wrapped with thread (like thicker embroidery thread); much like traditional dollhouse figures, if that makes sense.  It allows them to move and be posed, which is why I was able to fit children in the arms of the adults.  Nice!   And, yes, they have acorn hats which are just too darling.The green flowery thing is an incredible vase my mom gave me for my birthday.  She knew it matched the color of my kitchen/family room perfectly.  I love it and can't wait to fill it with big bouquets this summer!And the computer idea looks great!   Daniel's actually mentioned the idea of getting a really small notebook like the ones that are becoming increasingly popular.  For now, a couple-dollar part has been ordered to replace my power jack;  I'm just waiting on a friend to find the time to install it and see if that does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!  Perhaps the computer could be a potential future gift from said Husband! ;)  Good luck with the new cord and the vase is very lovely (as well as the figures!)

    ReplyDelete