Thursday, August 13, 2009

This summer's standby


Maybe I'm the only one, but it seems that in every season I have my Standby Dinner. You know: the meal I find myself making over and over and over again. Then, eventually, I get sick of it and replace it with something else.

All of this takes place subconsciously, of course, until either Daniel or one of the kids says something to me about it.

This summer, my Standby Dinner has been "mexican lasagna" (that's what I'll call it, though there might very well be an actual name for this sort of dish out there somewhere). I've had quite a hankering for mexican food this entire pregnancy and this meal satisfies that craving in me (for a day or so, anyway!), plus it's quick and easy to put together, and I make it with black beans, which-- in case you didn't know-- are loaded with iron.

In a large pan, I saute garlic, onion, and some bell pepper(s) in oil. Once the onion is soft and translucent, I add meat-- ground beef or shredded cooked chicken-- if we want meat, otherwise I skip this and just use 2x as many beans. Then I throw in a couple cups-- more if I'm not using meat-- of cooked black beans (dried taste better, but canned are nice for those last-minute meals), some frozen corn if I have it on hand/feel like it, a whole bunch of fresh cilantro (which was growing by leaps and bounds in our garden until it all went to seed last week when we were out of town), and whatever seasoning I feel like that night. Cumin, chili powder, coriander seed, etc. Salt & pepper, of course, to taste.

(Some fresh lime juice would probably be really yummy, too, but all my fresh lime juice is going to guacamole this pregnancy. )

Photobucket
made with ground beef and no corn

In a 9x13" baking dish, I first spread a [thin, for the sake of my husband & children] layer of salsa. Then I stack whole wheat tortillas about 3 deep (you'll probably need 1-1/2 tortillas for each layer). Next I spread half of my meat/bean mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle shredded cheese. Repeat all the layers one more time.

Bake, covered, at 350* for about 30 minutes.

Can be made ahead and kept in the fridge, which comes in very handy for Sunday lunch.

I love it served with tortilla chips and pico de gallo and/or guacamole. And don't forget extra salsa and sour cream.

(Sorry I don't have a picture of it baked; I guess I get too busy eating to remember to snap a photo!)


7 comments:

  1. yum.  Sounds good!  We are constantly eating tacos/ taco salad/ breakfast burritos and the like.  This would be a fun thing to add to the mexican mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might just make this-I have everything I need! I make a similar salad, no meat (cous cous instead) and no tortilla layering. I serve it cold. This dish does need lime juice! I like to put tomatoes in there too...Ahhh...I just love food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok... I am putting together my menu for next week and want to try this.  Sounds delicious -and Dale loves to try new bean recipes from the "Bean Queen" (believe me, that is an endearing nickname not picking!).  I have a question though...  you say layer the tortillas "3 deep" but then say 1-1/2 per layer and to do layers.  Do you place 3 tortillas on top of each other and then go to the next layer and do the same thing?  Or do you mean it will need about 3 layers of tortiallas?  My mind is fried after this week so it is probably just my mind not computing this so I have to ask!  As always, thanks for sharing a simple and inexpensive recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @StraderMom - 3 layers of tortillas seems to be a nice ratio of tortilla to filling.The actual number of tortillas you need for each layer depends largely on what size tortilla you buy/make.  I usually find that 1 whole tortilla + 1 half tortilla (if you fold them first, they're pretty easy to tear down the middle) covers the 9x13" pan, and then I repeat that 3x.  Hope that makes sense!   I knew after I finished making it that I should have taken a picture of that part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @brietta - That does help my brain -thanks!   And maybe I will remember to take a picture myself.  (Though Dale always laughs at me when I take pictures of our food!  *giggle*)

    ReplyDelete
  6. brietta, this sounds so yummy!  we would love the ground beef and corn, and leave out the beans-definitely leave out the beans. none of us like them. i think i could eat  this dish all by myself. my husband does not love mexican food at all, but every so often i just want a tasty mexican dish. i'm not a spicy food person, but for some reason, i like mexican-salsa, sour cream, guac, yum yum yum. thanks for the recipe. i might try it anyway. and just like you-spread that salsa layer thin-for the sake of my husband and children. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually made this tonight!  (I have been intending to make it for a while now, but I never remembered to look at how you made it when I was making my meal plan!)  It was fantastic!  Thanks for sharing!  

    ReplyDelete