Friday, August 14, 2009

Our garden saga


This is year #2 of vegetable gardening for us and we are still learning a lot. There are days I really find joy in the process, and there are others that vex the perfectionist in me. I have to remind myself that nothing is failure, so long as we come away with knowledge and experience.

Right?

Having learned the hard way last year that some things just can't be started from seeds-- even indoors (except for in a greenhouse)-- this far north due to such a short and cool growing season, we bought tomato and pepper plants and only grew our herbs, lettuce, and squash/zucchini plants from seeds. We looked to be on a much better track with everything, even with all the cool and rainy weather, so you can imagine our disappointment upon realizing that our tomato plants (particularly the cherry tomato plants) had been struck by blight. Already, we've pulled out one plant altogether and yanked numerous leaves off others. The fruit hasn't yet been effected, but I can tell that it's only a matter of time. Until then, I am ripping off every leaf that starts to go bad and harvesting each tomato practically the minute it turns red.

I'm trying to look on the bright side: now we know. I will probably always be on the lookout for blight after this and will hopefully be able to catch it early enough to treat it in the future.

The other thing I've learned the hard way is that I should have bought way more lettuce seeds than I did. I had no idea how easy it is to grow lettuce, nor how incredibly tasty fresh baby lettuce leaves are! Next year, I will stock up in the spring so that we can keep replanting.

And I will buy a salad spinner, because that would totally make washing and drying all that loose leaf lettuce a hundred times easier.

In the meantime, we are suffering from the basil-blues that it seems many gardeners are experiencing this year. My aunt thinks it's all the rain. All I know is that I miss harvesting huge basil plants and having the smell permeate my entire kitchen. The few measly leaves we get each week are hardly satisfying.

But we are enjoying some early-harvested peppers that I really ought to let stay on the vine and ripen to a nice red but don't because I'm just too impatient, and I have absolutely loved having fresh cilantro around for all my mexican cravings. And, not surprisingly, our zucchini and summer squash plants are gigantic and producing well for the second year in a row. Now I know why everybody has so much squash to give away each summer; I think it's probably nearly impossible to not have those things thrive!

All in all, it's been a good summer even though we are busily making notes for next year. Part of me wonders just how many years it will take before we move beyond Novice to Experienced, but it is a process and-- overall-- a very fun one.


10 comments:

  1. I desperately want to start a garden.  2 problems: I have trouble keeping house plants alive and where to put the garden.  I would love to plant along the side of my house but it's too shady, at least I think it is! 
    Really I'd just love to have lettuce, cucumbers, some tomatoes and zucchini.  Oh...and a strawberry plant, andd green beans...can you grow green beans? 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I bought a salad spinner at Walmart for $2.97 and it works great.  We've had some especially dirty lettuce around these parts lately so it's been a great time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually have a garden this year even though we're in an apartment...a farmer plows it in the spring and we can pick out an area we want.  I'm surprised how nice the dirt is here, I guess that's why it's mostly farmland!  We got that blight too.  A guy at the end had all his plants completely go to waste in a few days.  The funny thing is a lot of us didn't weed too well and I think it actually protected us some.  There are tall weeds between us and him and I think it kept some of the disease from hitting us as bad by wind.  But I'm afraid the tons of green tomatoes may not all make it. I did use sulfur on them when his got hit.  Pulling off dead stuff wouldn't work here I don't think since gardens right next to us have it.  I got lots of cherry tomatoes, I grow them because you can pick them first before the others get ripe.  But even with the blight we've gotten more than we have in a long time and I really didn't have that many plants.  They are just so productive in this soil.  We have ONE jalepeno plant and it has produced probably 30 peppers so far...I agree about the lettuce, I should have replanted some more but didn't get to it this year.  I may still try?  Mine is bolting now.  But I've really enjoyed it and it's amazing how good dirt makes a difference.  We did use Miracle Grow too, but I had done that in Pgh too.  I always said I'd get a salad spinner too, but still haven't done that.  We've seen in the news about the blight, it's a shame it's so far spread.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sarahk04 - Oh yes, lots of people I know grow green beans!  I hope to add that to our garden once I get a better handle on what we've been growing so far, along with cucumbers.  Nothing like fresh green beans!And thanks for the Wal-mart tip! I think even I can swing $3 for something that will make my life 100x easier! @Newshoundfortruth - Cherry tomatoes are all we've gotten so far.  I'm definitely a bit concerned that all our big boy tomato plants will succumb to the blight before we get a harvest. *sigh*Daniel is always commenting on how incredible the soil in our area is.  Having grown up here, I guess I take it for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your garden comments.  I've been wanting to plant a garden again for the last several years, but since May and June are the busiet months of my year, I haven't been able to fit that in.  All of my great garden helpers grew up and moved away!  Perhaps next spring I'll be able to re-examine some spring responsibilities and fit the garden planting in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted you to know, I really enjoy reading your posts and keeping up as your family grows.  I love the pictures you post and it's wonderful to watch your kids grow into small-sized young men and women! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!  Looks like your doing good!  Our garden is doing well, but ever since I've become pregnant, I can't stand the smell of it - especially the cherry tomatoes!  All smells are driving me crazy right now.  Soon this stage will be over though. Happy weeding! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a salad spinner last year after my second CSA box. Wow, do we get a lot of lettuce. I second the OXO recommendation. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just looked at your ticker! 31+!!! Almost to the home strech:)

    ReplyDelete