Thursday, July 31, 2014

sometimes

Sometimes I wonder if I am alone in this-- but most times I am sure I am not-- in that my every single day seems to be filled with highs, lows, peace, chaos, strife, forgiveness, laughs, tears. One minute I am feeling so blessed I am certain I couldn't ask for one more thing and the next I am on my knees, in tears before the Lord, begging for strength and courage and wisdom and loved ones.

Just an hour after the peaceful breakfast and laughter-filled devotions, I find myself sending a desperate text to my husband (other days it might be a friend) asking for prayer because I am at the end of my proverbial rope and about to be swallowed up.


Have you ever been there? That place where you're certain the only solution for the day is that everyone go to bed so we can just start over?

I find myself there almost daily. Some days more than others and deeper in it than others-- whether a frazzled moment trying to get everyone out the door or the overwhelming fears that come with various trials-- but there nonetheless.

If there's anything that I realize the Lord is wanting to teach me over and over and over again, it's that He is the reset. Not a new day, not more sleep, not different circumstances, not disappearing challenges, not better help, not a tidier house, not closer friendships, no thing but Himself. Not that those things aren't nice and that they don't make life more pleasant, but can I just say? They are not necessary. He alone is necessary.

What's amazing is that when I call the time out, when I drop what I'm doing, stop my not-so-pleasant-toned urging, quit my moping, dry my tears, still my fears, and call on the Lord, He is faithful to respond.

Over and over and over again.

He doesn't grow weary with me. He doesn't ask on that hundredth time I am falling apart, "When are you going to get yourself together, Brietta?!" He forgives, He restores, He pours out love, He promises strength.

And not just sometimes, but every time, the  stress, angst, sorrows, and terror get swallowed up in joy and peace and harmony and Kingdom vision.

The solution is never in what I see with my eyes or feel in my soul. The solution is fixing my mind on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment