Thursday, July 3, 2014

June

June began one way and ended quite another. It didn't look quite like we had planned or assumed it would, but if there's anything I'm learning more and more and more in life, it's that plans must be held loosely. I might have an idea of how things will go, what my days will be like, but in the end I trust the Lord to direct my steps.

It's the one plan that I can count on, and it's the best one anyway.

And it's been a wonderful month.

Full of family, rest, sun, reading, talking, praying. Not so full of work, projects, or demands. A pause, a breath, a chance to pull back and rebuild and re-strengthen and remember.

We are doing all of this for Him.

It's Your breath in our lungs...

I hear it over and over and over in my heart.

So we pour out our praise, pour out our praise!

It was all You anyway, Lord, I think to myself. Anything I have to offer or give is from You, so let it be for You.

It's been a month of being reminded that our strength comes from Him. Youthful zeal dries up, but He promises to renew us. His arms are strong enough and in our weakness His strength is perfected.

It's been a month of stirring myself in the knowledge that if the sacrifices we make are going to accomplish anything, they must be made and offered with joy. Joy in loving Him, in pouring ourselves out for Him, in pleasing Him. Any other motivation runs out. I want to do the things He is asking me to do and only those things, and I want to do them without complaining. Not a single even half complaint, Lord!

It's been a month of realizing how often we (and I use the word "we" very personally) pride ourselves in busy. It sounds cliche and I'd like to pretend it isn't so, but as humbling a realization as it is, it's being realized. We'd rather be the hero, rather be the tough one, rather be the one doing and not the one being done for. Lord, forgive us.

It's been a month of remember how good it is to be together, to have time for our children. We so often hurry through life and before we know it our biggest priority has become getting these seven charges from Point A to Point B, be it education or events or milestones or even spiritual growth. It's so good to have moments to watch, observe, talk, listen, coach, nudge, enjoy. NOT RUSH.

It's been a month of rekindling relationships. Time with friends who we love. We need this!

June seemed to promise ministry trips and missions preparation and meetings and hosting and in the Lord's wisdom got flipped upside-down and perhaps right-side-up and turned into just what we needed.

And now we are beginning July and I feel like a baby Christian all over again, but in the best of ways. My heart is bubbling with hunger for His presence, adoration for His Word, love for His people, hope for the future.

It was a June to remember!

1 comment: