Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Today


Today, Claire, you are seven months old.

I never knew minutes could turn into hours, hours could turn into days, days could turn into weeks, and weeks could turn into months this quickly. If I don't watch myself, I start to choke up and my stomach starts to churn when I think about all the ways I want to love on you and spend time with you before you grow any more, and how much I wish I could make it all slow down.

By the grace of God, instead of grasping, I simply choose again to cherish you the best I can.

At seven months, you continue to delight us. I have to say, you're not as easy right now-- what with your fussing over boredom, fighting sleep occasionally, and wanting Mama and not anyone else most all of the time-- but that's still not saying a whole lot, since you were so very, very easy before.

You have two teeth now.

You squirm all over the place, but mostly backwards and farther away from the very thing you're desperately trying to reach.

You've outgrown your basket next to my bed and are now in "Aubrey's crib," as your brothers and sister say.

You are smart. It is easy to see when you really, really want something because you grab frantically for it, and if I tell you that someone else is playing with it or that it's not for you right now, I think you honestly understand the message of what I'm saying.

You love to see what's going on around you and are very interested in the "action."

You are a very pretty baby. We talk about how you could be a baby model with your dimpled elbows and round smile and sparkly eyes. Maybe we're biased, all us relatives of yours, but, then again, maybe you really are as lovely as we think. (And I think you are.)

You are full of promise and destiny. It's true that I mourn the passing of time (probably too often), but the truth is that I also know the future is a brilliant one for you, my bright bringer of good news, and I'm excited about the days ahead. I'm so thankful to be your mama, to be able to play a part in what God will do in and through you.

Happy growing to you, baby girl!


1 comment:

  1. the future is definitely a bright one for her! you named her well. so full of destiny and promise... definitely exciting. and, quite lovely she is. :)

    ReplyDelete