Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My morning


I am woken by the sounds of Aubrey's toddler chatter coming through our fuzzy monitor. I roll over slightly, but not too much-- there's a baby laying next to me in bed-- to see what time it is. I'm grateful that it's after 5:45am, and then I wonder at myself that I can find any reason to be glad it's only 5:56am.

I stumble upstairs and pick Aubrey up. She insists upon sitting on her bed until retrieved, though I have tried many times to convince her to quietly come downstairs in the morning so as to not wake her siblings. As predicted, Bronwyn's eyes are open: she's been woken by the talkative sister next to her.

We come downstairs and the girls crawl under a blanket on the couch. I fetch Claire after hearing noises from the bedroom.

Diapers are changed. Water bottles are filled. Aubrey gets her daily medication. I brush my teeth since I can't stand being awake for more than a few minutes without doing so. Jackson joins us downstairs because it's now 6:00 and he almost never sleeps past 6.

And then?

Then I stumble over to the coffee pot. The little red light is on and the coffee's ready: Daniel made it before he left for work this morning, hallelujah.

I sit down with my Bible and coffee. I pick Claire up so I can nurse her while I read. The kids are playing with blocks that Papa made for them.

My list is a mile long, but for now, we just sit.

It's going to be a good day.


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post.
    I am off to grab my coffee and bible.
    There is MUCH to be done.
    Priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah is Gabriel your "late" sleeper?? And, 'Hallelujah', I can just see you praising the Lord right there for that. That's awesome. What time do your kids go to bed? Hope you enjoyed your sitting bc I know the lists (even if just mental) can seem really daunting first thing in the morning like that! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ReneeOckrin - Yes, lol, he's my "late" sleeping: I don't think he rolled out of bed until *gasp* 6:20 or so.  haha :)I usually put the kids to bed around 8pm.  They haven't been napping for the past few weeks, though, so the last couple nights I've put them to bed around 7 because they all seem to be getting overtired (and VERY emotional!) due to the lack of napping going on.  I think they're just in a bad afternoon pattern at this point; as soon as they get back to napping (well, Gabriel never naps except when he's sick, which is probably why he sleeps "so" much later than the others in the mornings), we'll go back to an 8pm bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I think I would probably die if my kids got up that early!   My kids never peek their heads out of their bedrooms until AT LEAST 7am.  Usually by 7:30 they are all up except my youngest, he is my late sleeper which is awesome for homeschooling.  Like, today my older two didn't wake up until 9am and my youngest is still sleeping! And they go to bed at 8-9pm! :)  So, in other words....I'm impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wrote about my morning, because I read yours and then though, hey. I should write about my very nice, very normal morning. I want to remember this season!And now, just after hitting publish, there's a breakfast meltdown occurring. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything before 6am is just cruel. I personally think anything before 7am is cruel but that's b/c my kids sleep until around 7:00-7:30. What time do you go to bed?!??! If I was up before 6, I think I'd fall asleep before 8!I like the increase in posting recently. I always enjoy hearing about your day, life, kids, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully, my kids don't usually wake up until 7 or later, but Nathanael does the same thing as Aubrey...sitting in bed making noise...actually he yells out "get down?" over and over again until receiving an answer...until everyone else is awake.  I just wish he took the same approach to being put to bed at nap time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds so familiar!  (except the nursing during quiet times- that will be back in just a few weeks!)  My kids have all had colds recently, so I've had them going to bed a bit early (7- 7:30)  Sadly, this hasn't changed the wake up time for any of them!  And I can't convince ANY of them to come out of their room quietly without the other two!   

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is WAYYYY to early to start the day! Makes for a loonnggg day!

    ReplyDelete