Friday, March 23, 2007

I'm supposed to be in Pittsburgh right now. If I were there, I imagine that Grandma would be cleaning up from feeding the kids a breakfast of every sort of thing they like. "Granola? Or Mighty Bites? I can heat up pancakes, if you'd rather... Do you want strawberries or bananas or apples or oranges?" As it is, they ate a breakfast of pre-determined-by-Dad cereal and then they were given their daily banana and told not to fuss about what color plastic cup of milk they ended up with (Gabriel never wants any color associated with the "dark side" in StarWars and Bronwyn always wants purple). Mom and Dad just aren't as nice as Grandma and we figure it's a working arrangement: our lives are simpler throughout the year and Grandma remains the hero of thoughtfulness in our children's eyes.

My week was supposed to be full of going fun places, visiting with a nephew and his mom and dad, spending time with very special friends, shopping for children's clothing in a few favorite stores, and getting my bi-annual fix-- not to mention seeing many dear people from here. Instead, I've been sitting on the couch a lot, my eyes have been aching from looking at a computer screen or reading books too much, and I don't even get to do fun things like pick up my baby. (This whole, "Hey, Daniel, can you come give Jack to me," thing is getting old in a hurry, I must confess.)

Yes, we are disappointed.

And, yet, I am struck with the privilege I've been given-- even now, months before I will see this baby face to face-- to make little sacrifices for another. I consider how good God is to give our lives meaning through serving. I think about the emptiest days of my life, and I see the very common denominator in each one: I was living those days for myself.

So I'll sit here a little longer. I'll miss more outside-the-home events. I won't see many people and I won't get to put my children to bed, again. I'll continue nursing Jackson less often (I suppose only other moms can understand how difficult that one is...) and I'll resign myself to Easter decorations staying in their box until next year. I won't take a long, brisk walk even though it's beautiful outside and I won't go to the musical rehearsal this afternoon. And, truthfully, when I stop and really think about it, it doesn't bother me because-- well, what are those things in light of this labor of love that might provide a life with life?

9 comments:

  1. If I didn't know better I would think you're just writing all this to try and convince yourself.
    But, I know better.
    Thanks once again for your fresh, biblical take on things.
    It is definitely Christ's light shining for all who read.
    And P.S. Just like MR was laughing about my 90's music flashback- I am laughing about the whole bathroom cleaning thing. Before Marc was killed, he would always freak about everything like that. He accused Eric of being heartless and brainless on more than one occasion. And of course knowing that those things bothered him (me cleaning the bathroom, lifting heavy things, etc) I would use it to irk him. When he called during the day (from Buffalo) to see how I was feeling I would say things like, "Oh, I was fine until I bleached the tub- now I feel a little llight-headed." Oh, yeah- poor guy. It's amazing he still loved me. One time in August when Colby was 4 months old, I took him to Higley where the guys were skiing the course. It was at least 90 degrees, so I was letting him splash in the river. Marc threw an absolute fit because he said that if he put his hands in his mouth he would get Beaver Fever. Eric typically left me on my own with these things, but this time he intervened. "Give me a break, dude! When you have kids they'll be in a bubble for sure." Marc replied, "At least they'll live and not die from Beaver Fever!" Eric laughed. "Uh, no actually they won't live. They'll be so weak from bubble life that if they ever do breathe regular air, the dust mites will do them in for sure!" On and on. Sad to think that they can't harrass each other anymore. Some day, though- some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those stores, too, but isn't Once Upon a Child just the greatest?! I got Hallie's entire fall wardrobe there last year, for under $50. Amazing. Keep up the good work with taking it easy-- it will be over all too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting ready to leave for the CFCP. We'll miss you, but once again, I'm glad you are where you should be.

    These opportunities to rest, despite the reason, can be a blessing in disguise at times. In my case anyway, I simply do not slow down to process and think often enough.

    Still praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you but know you have chosen the best thing.  We love you ALL!  It won't be that long until we can welcome Baby Paladin IV and rejoice together!  Gram

    ReplyDelete
  5. We missed you this week, but I'm glad you are doing what you're doing. God is faithful, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm... looks like uncle merrick has had some influence on his nephew.
    i love you and am continuing to pray for you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How touching to read your kind comments!  I love being a Grandma and having the time to offer options for breakfast and to fuss over my kids and Grandkids.  I wasn't always like this.  Just ask Daniel.  I am thankful that you and the baby are doing well.  I will continue to pray for you and I look forward to the next time we will be together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We missed you at the Center.  The kids had a lot of fun, and it was nice for all of us to be able to get out of the house and hang out as well.
    Hope you're all doing well.  We think about you often and wish we could help in some way.  You're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete