Friday, April 11, 2014

spring

Spring in the little yellow house means lunch outdoors, our backyard looking like waterfront property, splurging on fresh flowers, prophetic presbytery meetings, house projects, runny noses (always!), windows flung open, and the washer humming as it cleans snow pants and snow coats. It means sunlight pouring into the sitting room each morning and flooding the kitchen each afternoon. It means bedrooms being cluttered with boxes of clothing as we begin to rummage around for lightweight jackets but aren't quite ready to commit to putting winter things away for good; the mudroom now housing yellow boots all in a row-- six pairs this year. It means long walks and playing outside for hours and tucking children into bed while it is yet light out. It means getting antsy for the school year to be done and feeling relieved that a handful of subjects are already finished.

When I was younger, I didn't much care for spring.

Spring is, after all, muddy and brown and messy.

But the longer I am alive, the more I fall in love with spring, mess and all.


Flowers I bought for our table, just because.
I need to do that again. 

Baby's first morning spent in the sun.

My little walking companions.
(Oliver is in the Ergo)

Our backyard currently.

The bathroom my husband stayed up past midnight mudding and taping.

First outdoor lunch of the season!

3 comments:

  1. Just curious - where do you buy your rain boots? I tried the black ones at Walmart for my older boys and they cracked and fell apart within the year.
    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, would you believe that these are the same boots my mom bought for my siblings and I YEARS ago? They have held up remarkably! Not a single crack in one of them. Unfortunately, she bought them at a local shoe factory when it was going out of business.

      I've heard Lands' End boots hold up better?

      Delete
    2. Oh, too bad (for me!). Thanks!
      ~Wendy

      Delete