Tuesday, April 22, 2014

easter 2014

Easter.

My favorite day of the year, every year. Not because I tell myself it should be. It just is. How can it not be when I wake up instantly thinking, "My Jesus died for me because He loves me, and then He rose again so that I might have new life, too!" Makes me realize that if I only woke up more days thinking that thought, I would have day after day after day of victorious living.

This year, even the weather knew to cooperate. The sun shone, the air warmed, the grass turned greener, the shoots that are busily springing up grew taller.

On Friday I set about our traditions of baking cheesebraid for Easter breakfast, piecing together something special to wear-- a little from the closets and drawers, a whole lot from the stored-away totes of summer clothing, a tie here and there bought for this day, new pants for the tallest boy and a new dress for the oldest girl-- assembling our basket treasure hunt, setting tables, wrapping new books. Bit by bit. I have to pace myself, you know, or else it wouldn't get done. I am not superwoman. I just love a good celebration and will fit in the preparations where I can in order to enjoy every bit of it that I can!


On a regular basis, we make big deals out of lots of things. Sports teams. Academic accomplishments. New jobs. Retirement. Marriages. New babies. New homes. Selling old homes. Moving. Travel.

Jesus, His death and resurrection, is the biggest deal going. Nothing will ever top what He did. No one will ever surpass who He is. There will never be a Love that is stronger, deeper, truer. And my prayer is that my kids know through and through that there isn't a holiday, an accomplishment, or an event that tops our celebration of Him and what He's done for us!

The clothes, the food, the time away from ordinary routines, the gifts, the family-- these things communicate that we are a celebrating people because we have a victorious King!

 

As Daniel began our day with a reading of the Easter story, I felt myself freshly drawn into the majesty of God's plan. Lowly to the human understanding, more perfect than anything we could ever dream up.


 

And then the basket hunt, when year after year I do my best to write clues in a rhyming fashion and year after year Daniel and I chuckle at what apparently sounded good late the night before but now after some sleep is obviously a hack-job at best. The kids don't seem to care... yet anyway!


Found! And what joy!

 

Even Oliver had a basket this year, as much because he desperately needed new onesies as for any other reason. He had no clue either way, but I'm enjoying the onesies immensely on his behalf!


New books on Easter are a tradition my mom began for me when I was young. I loved it then and I love sharing it now with my children. We went very simple this year-- just a few dollars a book-- but they are still titles that are dear to my heart and I hope become dear to their hearts.


Elliot was perhaps the least enthralled with many of the morning's activities-- especially when it came time for photo-taking. Even when he's grumpy he's cute, but don't tell him that or he'll sulk all the more!


Wonderful moments at church. Too many to count and too captivating for either Daniel or I to have remembered to take pictures-- even when it was our own kids up front!

Then lunch at my parents'. We all pitch in with the food, but really? My mama knows how to pull out the stops. She's the one who taught me to love celebrations.

 

All of us gathered around the One who is worth celebrating.


A family photo on the porch, an annual tradition-- as long as the weather cooperates!


Walking down to the neighbors' for a hymn-sing to end the day. O Sacred Head Now Wounded, When I Survey, Up From The Grave He Arose.

 

Easter Sunday. A day when I remember. A day when I celebrate. A day when I see afresh that this joy, this victory, this is the stuff that ought to be my everyday reality. Jesus has been so good to me! And how right it is to take special time and effort and care to remind myself of just how available His love is to me all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment