Thursday, October 7, 2010

Nine!


Daniel: I'm taking you away next week. To celebrate our anniversary.

Me (mouth gaping): But... isn't this, like, the worst time for you to go away? My dad's out of the country. Friday School starts this week. Also, it's a school week at home. And who's going to watch the kids? *blah, blah, blah... I talk a lot*

Daniel: Can you just say thank you and how excited you are?

Me: Oh, wow. Sorry. I'm a dork. Thank you!


9th anniversary

Yes, it's true! We went away to celebrate 9 awesome years of marriage.

We stayed at the above B&B in Cooperstown, NY. I've always wanted to go to Cooperstown-- it seems so lame to have grown up just a few hours away and yet never have gone there-- and Daniel's always wanted to go there-- in sports, baseball is his first love-- and we were not disappointed. We absolutely loved the owners and the inkeeper at the B&B, as well as the other couples staying there (Daniel joked that we reduced the average age of the guests by about 30 years, but apparently we fit right in because we had great conversations around the breakfast table both mornings and found them all very enjoyable!). Cooperstown itself was great, too. Lots of history and art, quaint little shops, lovely homes, and-- of course-- baseball.

9th anniversary

The colors everywhere were just breathtaking. This photo really doesn't do justice. The drive down and back were beautiful, as were our walks around Cooperstown. I love this time of year.

9th anniversary

We both enjoyed the baseball hall of fame quite a bit. It was remarkable to see how the sport has changed and yet remained the same throughout the past 100+ years. I was particularly taken aback by the size of the baseball bats in the early 1900s: they were huge!

Daniel left seeming quite encouraged in his status as a die-hard Pirates fan and convinced that, in due time, his team will do well again. I have to say that I was surprised by how much great history the Pirates do have, considering how poorly they've done since I started loosely following them 9 years ago.

9th anniversary

Claire came along with us and kept things interesting. We loved having her with us, but I'm not sure she loved the trip!

She managed the actual trip/driving exceptionally well. However, she slept exceptionally poorly and she was unhappy much of the time. I was wondering if another tooth was coming in or what was going on. Apparently, she just missed our house and her siblings because she was instantly happy upon our arrival home this afternoon, contentedly tagged behind Aubrey all evening, and went to bed without a bit of fuss tonight.


9th anniversary

Everywhere we went, people ooh'd and ahh'd over Claire. They loved her even with her [very cute, Carol!] hat on, but the minute it came off, they almost fell over themselves admiring her hair. It didn't seem to matter if she had bags under her eyes (from not sleeping) or even if she was whining: one after another, people declared her absolutely adorable.

And then, after asking if she was our first, they almost fell over themselves again when one of us would answer, "No, our fifth."

9th anniversary

We ordered our anniversary dinner to go last night instead of eating at the restaurant since Claire was getting particularly tired and fussy by the end of our evening walk. It seemed to both Daniel & I that we would enjoy the meal much more sitting in the cozy arm chairs in front of the wood stove back in our room at the B&B while Claire had her freedom to roam about and play with toys. It ended up being perfect. The food was great. We did our best to remember how we celebrated each of our previous anniversaries (I think we got all but 1... I guess the year Jack was a baby really was as much of a blur as it seemed!). We talked honestly about the things we appreciate about one another and the areas that we need growth in.

Like most every other couple, Daniel and I have had disagreements and challenges and plain old difficulties of life, but at the end of the day, we're confident in the Lord's leadership in our marriage and in our love and commitment to one another. I feel so blessed by that.

And definitely blessed by the time away. I'm glad Daniel knows to tell me to stop talking and just enjoy myself every once in a while!


9 comments:

  1. I grew up about 30-45 minutes away from cooperstown. My Mother still lives there. It is very beautiful. I am glad you enjoyed it. Congrats on 9 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 9 yr.  I love Cooperstown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll throw my hat in the ring and say that I love Cooperstown as well!And from the take-out pic, I'm guessing that carpet looks alot like the one from Aunt Gerry that's in the Guest Room at church. Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @darlenes - Yes, Mom, it was almost identical!  And that was one of my first thoughts upon arriving at the B&B and settling in our room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to celebrate 9 amazing years!! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric and I love those people who live in the little yellow house.
    That would be you, your hubby, and all FIVE of those precious children.
    Happy 9th Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sound wonderful!  I'm so glad that you had the chance to pause the crazy days of life and enjoy each other!  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brietta.  We celebrated 10 years by spending the weekend at a B&B in Trumansburg (just north of Ithaca).  Kieran was fussy the whole weekend, and as it turns out he had an ear infection on top of getting teeth!  Your story sounded so much like ours that I thought I'd commiserate with you.  Of course, we wouldn't have left him behind, and he produced the same "ooooh's" from people who wondered how we could possibly have 4 sons and "look so young!"  :)Happy 9 years to you and Daniel!

    ReplyDelete