Monday, November 24, 2014

my blonde-haired boy

Fierce. Passionate. Gifted.

If you ask me what are the words that describe Elliot Hale, these are the first that come to mind.


He loves what he loves.

He hates what he hates.

He wants what he wants.

Don't bother trying to coax him into changing his mind; pretty much the only way for his mind to be changed is through a clashing of wills. Sometimes I almost think there's something in the way he's wired that looks for the fight.

My little prophet Elijah, my tiny protective shepherd-boy David, ready to take on the enemy of his hour.


Even before he was talking much, he would notice patterns and eagerly point them out to me: logos, designs, hair styles, colors and shapes and sizes on various objects and signs.

He knows every sound that every letter makes, not because I've taught him, but because he has gleaned much from my work with Aubrey. His little mind gathering, absorbing, filing away.

And, of course, he's been comfortable with a ball in his hand longer than he's been walking.


These days, though, there are new words that come to mind equally fast when I think of Elliot.

Affectionate. Excited. Celebratory. Growing.

I see his little heart being shaped and it is breathtaking. Let me be honest and say that I wish I'd had faith for this more before now, but the truth is that at times I've simply hung onto the truths of the Word of God in relation to training because it was just so hard. But now? Now when he sets his jaw and very purposefully puts his hand in mine to cross the street, it is almost more precious to me because I know the deep inward yielding it represents.

I tell him often, "Elliot, I want you to obey me because I want you to obey God," and these days he says it with me, so familiar are the words.


He loves to celebrate people, which is a new thing erupting from his little heart. His proudest moment perhaps ever was when he "helped" Daniel make my birthday cake. "Mama, I made birthday cake for you!"

When one of the other kids makes a good play in a game or creates a nice piece of artwork or is brave while enduring something unpleasant, he is very quick to take note and shower said person with encouragement.


Often when he is struggling with disappointment or the agony of submitting to my leadership or just having a rough day, the surest way to minister to him is to pull him onto my lap, hold him close, and sing his favorite hymn, Great Is Thy Faithfulness. He melts in those moments, his little arms pulling my head down close to his.

We share some tight heart strings, my Elliot Hale and I. He has challenged me and I have challenged him. He has forgiven and loved me, and I have forgiven and loved him. Such a powerful person in an altogether not-so-big package.

There is much more to be accomplished in him and me as we walk this journey, mother and son, together, but lately I have been so reminded in a multitude of little things that God is at work in us both and He will be faithful.

1 comment:

  1. So precious, Bri! I love those little people of yours. Hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete