Sunday, August 18, 2013

time flies

Without a doubt, we are surely halfway through the month of August. As seems to be ever-increasingly the case, I feel at a total loss as to where the time went.

But, no, it's not that I don't know where it went; it's that I cannot fathom how quickly (and usually without my permission!) even the "down time" in my life fills to the brim with the activity and busyness of a healthy and growing family.

I don't want to complain. I am so thankful for every bit of life that occupies my days. What a precious season this is, my children growing by leaps and bounds and me getting to be part of it all.

I do wish that I was better as stopping along the way, at knowing how to catch my breath, at being able to formulate a thought, at getting one step ahead (or even just half a step). Still, I am learning to be thankful in the midst, to not feel like my world is spiraling out of control simply because I don't have the time to process that I would like to have or was once accustomed to. As our family grows, so the Lord is gracious to stretch me and expand my heart and mind through the most simple and profound of lessons.

So far August has looked like:

A handful of days with the Sinclair family, staycationing half a mile down the road at my parents' house. Little girls rooming in with their much-adored aunties, whiffle ball and kickball and baseball, board games and books, a kitchen continually overflowing with bodies, laughter and prayer and early morning coffee, sleeplessness and not minding it one bit because of what it means we had throughout the day.

Returning home and gearing my mind a bit toward the new school year. Labor Day-- and the official start date of our 2013-2014 school year-- looms ever larger. I made my final plans, assembled lists, researched prices, and finally ordered the missing curriculum and supplies. I love homeschooling and therefore can't help but be excited for a new year, but I confess to dragging my feet even more slowly than usual about tying any final bows on summer. It's been a lovely few months.

Celebrating Bronwyn's ninth birthday. I will write more about this dear girl another time, but suffice it to say that I have decided I'm thankful that her birthday always falls in the throes of summer fun because it definitely helps alleviate the bittersweetness of the passing of another year.

Taking a Saturday to deep-clean the house with the kids, and feeling yet again amazed at how much we accomplish and in how short a time as more and more of them are able to actually help!

My husband officiating a wedding with a tenderness and fathering that belies his age and gives great credit to his Heavenly Father. Watching what the Lord does with his life never gets old for me.

Out-of-town guests.

Summer bounty and savoring every meal that required zero menu planning on my part.

Lots of meandering walks and not enough mowing and weeding.

Fevers for three of my six little charges.

The ever-noticeable presence of a new baby on the way.

Filling in calendar dates and thanking Jesus for the opportunities and ability He gives to serve Him.

Thinking about expectations, mostly my own, and how often they don't line up with His calling.

Praying lots, especially in moments of weakness: that I will hear His voice, that my children will be captured by who He is, that we will live our lives with increasing intentionality, that He will strengthen His Church, that we will always have joy in the offering, that He will teach me to number my days and live wisely.


2 comments: