Wednesday, February 6, 2013

thinking about::


:: how funny Elliot is first thing in the morning when everyone else is still asleep. This is his happiest time of day and, more and more, his sense of humor is appearing. He likes to make me laugh.

:: the grocery budget that I keep blowing. I can't quite figure out if it's my poor management, the rising cost of food, or the realities of a growing family. Realistically? It's probably a bit of everything!

:: World War I, which is what our focus these past few weeks in school has been on. I can't believe how little I knew about this war before now. I also can't believe how much I still get to learn everyday, thanks to homeschooling. Here's what every bit of history and geography and science teaches me every single day: God is good, God is faithful, God is eternal, and God cares. I feel sad to think that this Theme isn't present in many children's studies.

:: how long it's been since I vacuumed the upholstered furniture. I am working on a way to systematically tackle some monthly tasks so that hopefully I won't be thinking this again-- at least for a while, anyway.

:: the many wonderful children's books that are out there. I am mystified as to why so many silly books are published when there is such a plethora of delightful books to be enjoyed-- many of which are out of print and harder to find? I firmly believe that writing and illustrations ought to appeal to the adults who are reading the books, as well as the children who are being read to. I don't care if you're 3 or 93, a story isn't good unless it draws you in.

:: getting our guest room finished. We are on the home stretch. We've been at a standstill for quite some time in there, but our energies and resources are being funneled in that direction once more. It's been almost four years since I had a guest room and I can't wait to have one again! Having a place readily available for guests is such a pleasure to me.

:: apple pie. Or banana cream pie. I really wish I had some right now.

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, alright. I'll make you some pie.HAHAHAHAHA!
    If you only knew how hard I am laughing right now!
    I decided awhile back that I would get back into the groove with my own reading. I pulled out a stack of books from which to choose. The Birth of the Nazi's, Dug Down Deep, etc. etc. It ended the way I knew it would... AA MILNE! I was brought to tears by page 4 of Now We Are Six. The kids said it was from post-partum hormones. I know it was because this genius of a man has been lost in the shuffle of cheesy, modern day kid's books. I know you understand. Will you please tell my children I'm not crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Criscitello children,Your mom is NOT crazy. Now We Are Six is my favorite poetry, so if she's crazy that means I am, too-- and I KNOW you don't think THAT! :)Love, Mrs. Paladin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always did weekly chores, where everyone pitched in and all the dusting, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning got done on one day. Then once a month all the "extra" chores were added in: vacuuming furniture, dusting ceiling fans/light fixtures, wiping fingerprints off walls, etc. The reality is that if you're kids don't eat all over said furniture, which I am pretty sure yours don't, they probably aren't nearly as bad as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thornton
    Burgess books have captured the attention of my two year old Claire, who over
    and over again asks, "Why mama? Why did Old Mother West Wind do that?”
    along with my almost 8 year old and I also have caught my husband quietly reading
    the chapters he has missed during our read aloud time! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You took the words right out of my mouth with the children's books! My husband & I were just talking about how there are so many good children's books yet every time we come home from the library there is at least 1 if not more that we end up wishing we hadn't gotten cause its silly & pointless or the content is ridiculous for children! On the other hand you should see how excited I get as we find another wonderful book that we love that I hope to add to our slow growing collection! I love books, always have but I never thought I'd have to screen them as much as I've had to for my children and now that one is learning to read even more so!

    ReplyDelete