Friday, August 3, 2012

Summer days

I always have in my mind's eye what summer days will be like. Somehow those ideas prove to be delusions more often than not.

Summer days this year are, more realistically:

:: early mornings with the baby who thinks 6-7am is the best hour of the day (and his smiles at that time have a way of making me agree)
:: a little weeding of the gardens, some not-so-routine watering, and continual amazement that these relatively uncared for seeds and seedlings turn into something edible

one of many heads of broccoli that have grown in my garden

:: sending children out the door to play so Elliot can take long morning naps in relative peace and quiet
:: getting back on track with daily quiet time of my own, thanks to a post-baby's-birth return to basic routines here at home
:: washing dirty arms and legs and faces and leaving big rings of mud all over the tub
:: finishing up some smallish house projects and feeling refreshed by an outlet for creativity

an etsy-inspired lighting project

:: reading The Trumpet Of The Swan aloud
:: sickness-- and more of it than I like to think is possible this time of year
:: feeling surprised each day when it's already time to make dinner (I blame it on how long it stays light in the summertime...)
:: eating almost completely vegetarian in an effort to use up our own produce plus our weekly share from a local CSA, and feeling thankful for a husband and children who make that a pleasant possibility

eating strawberry shortcake for breakfast isn't so hard, they've all decided

:: wishing I could spend every waking hour outdoors; comforting myself in windows flung wide open, letting in the smells and sounds of summer, for days and days and days on end
:: reminder upon merciful reminder that home is a good and noble and worthwhile use of my life and heart and energies

after all, is there a sweeter place on earth?

:: putting off planning for the fall and for the first time in my life not feeling worried about doing so

 

1 comment:

  1. I always love your posts.  I'm just getting in the swing of summer and don't want it to end.  It lasts longer here than in Pittsburgh and starts earlier so I'm glad for that.  I could probably grow lettuce into November...at least on my balcony that stays warm with four sides on the sunny side like a green house.  100 degrees wasn't so hot for that, but my pansies lasted till about two weeks ago.   This is the first year in 14 years I haven't had to file an avidavit...I just got Joy's books this last week and I'm hoping we can enjoy this year more than any.  I will keep reading what you have to say, it reminds me being a "keeper at home" is really the most fulfilling job when done in obedience....(Learned about obedience at Joyce Meyer's conference yesterday....I knew it, just time to do it!)  Her book says how do we have authority over the devil when we don't have authority over the sink of dirty dishes!  That's one for me....I need to remember!

    ReplyDelete