Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Misc.


:: We are in our final week of school here in the little yellow house. Gabriel and Bronwyn have finished all their books/objectives other than a couple more days of history. Jackson has 2 more pages of math (he has finished the entire Bob Jones 1st grade book in about 5 months), some Explode the Code (now that he's reading books like Danny and the Dinosaur, it seems kind of silly to have him doing page after page of words with the tch ending so we may just be done at the end of the week, regardless of how much is technically left undone), and a few pages of handwriting. The fact that we are so close to being finished with everything I'd hoped to accomplish feels like nothing less than a miracle, and I absolutely mean that. I seriously have no idea how this happened. My kids amaze me.

:: Elliot is finally napping almost every day, thanks to a swaddling blanket a friend lent me. He's also a bit less fussy now that he's got a decent sleeping routine at night, is nursing and growing better (last week he was 9lbs7oz and 22" long), and as long as I don't eat a lot of corn in one day. So although he isn't even remotely what I would call an easy-going baby, I'm finally able to snatch time here and there throughout the day to take a shower, do the laundry, cook [occasionally], weed the garden, etc. This makes life feel much more manageable.

:: The weather has been amazing. Absolutely amazing. Even yesterday's rain was welcomed as today the gardens are bursting afresh in size and color (along with the weeds, I'm afraid). The kids play outside endlessly once their chores and school are done-- and we've even done history outside most days so we can enjoy the sun during that time, too.

slip n' slide fun in the 89-degree heat on Sunday afternoon
 

:: I'm in my fourth week of trying to get out at least 3 mornings a week for a walk/run. Most days when I return after the 20-30 minutes I'm gone Elliot is crying (what can I say? the boy loves me!), so this is as much a commitment on Daniel's part as on mine. Some mornings I am so tired when I wake up that I come up with a million reasons why I shouldn't, but after I've made myself, I am so glad. It's not just the exercise that's so great-- it's also getting outdoors first thing and that brief time alone with Jesus. I love it.

:: We are incredibly close to getting into our upstairs bedroom. Daniel had set a deadline for himself of being done by the last weekend in May. Due to some emergency things that came up on several of his recent days off, the work is barely getting done in time-- but it's getting done! Elliot even cooperated the other night and let me pitch in for a couple hours of late-night painting following a full day at work/home and the boys' first baseball game of the season. As Daniel and I burned the midnight oil, we wondered how many hours we've clocked doing just that sort of thing together. It's actually become quite special in its own way.

the trim is painted and the oil is curing even as I type;
the room will be ready for furniture tomorrow evening


:: I have been making a plan of attack for best enjoying and most thoroughly taking advantage of summer's fresh produce. In early April, I signed us up for a full share from a local CSA (community supported agriculture) and we'll begin receiving weekly boxes of produce in June. Our own personal vegetable garden will mostly be filled with foods that I can preserve for the winter months, like lots and lots of tomatoes for canning, winter squash, etc. I'm hoping this is a good combination that ends up best facilitating a largely organic, vegetable-rich diet for us year-round. Time will tell.

:: With the conclusion of our 2011-2012 school year right before us, I have been trying to come up with a strategy for the summer months. As our family grows, so too does the reality that fun takes work/preparation/planning. We don't just have one or two sets of feet tracking in loose grass and dirt throughout the day. And at the end of the day, we have a good deal more than one or two children's sweaty, grass-stained clothes and bodies to deal with. (Don't even get me started on how long it takes to get ready for and then clean up from a swimming/beach outing!) I love, love, love the opportunities for fun that summer provides, but I must be ever armed with a plan for how to make the logistics of it all work-- logistics like laundry, keeping the house in some semblance of order, meal planning and preparation, and making sure everybody gets enough sleep. Any ideas/suggestions that you find helpful are gladly accepted over here!

 

8 comments:

  1. Question for you about using BF next year. Did Jack follow along this year too? And do you plan to add Aubrey to the "history group" next year?I ask, b/c if I go the BF route again, Ada will be in K but will be starting where we  left off so she'll miss all the wonderful books we read this year. I'm really just thinking out loud her so thanks for indulging me!! Yeah on being so close to finishing the bedroom. Looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again! Do you use the TM along with the workbooks for Bob Jones? I'm not always the biggest TM believer but do think there is a time and place when they really help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3.          Oh the swaddling
    blanket. My husband's aunt mailed us a package before miss Natalie was born
    with two of these in it. I had never used/seen one before. We. Love. Them! I
    took her home from the hospital in one since it's so easy to buckle a car seat
    through the slot in the bottom. Such a great invention! I don't know if
    I have any advice for you concerning summer messes, but I can say, I completely
    understand. I'm ashamed to say (so early into this lovely season) that I am
    already over the continual grass that makes its way into our home. Lots of
    sweeping, a bucket of cold water and a scoop of OxiClean to soak grass stained
    clothes until you can get to the washer, and declaring summer a simple meal
    season are my plans.  J   

    ReplyDelete
  4. @michelleross - I did BF with all of them combined and it worked terrifically. I used the primary program, but I also bought the extra intermediate level books for Gabriel & Bronwyn to read (on their own) just to beef up their own study a bit. I loved the way it all flowed together! And as for Ada jumping in halfway through, I would think that shouldn't be a problem. I feel like this early stuff (Christopher Columbus, pilgrims, etc) gets covered in EVERY program during the early years, so I'm sure she'll learn it all eventually anyway!As for the TM, I don't use them. There are a handful of exercises throughout the year (maybe 10-12 altogether-- not many) that I literally cannot figure out what to do with because I don't have the manual, but that's it. I just cross those things out and we are NO worse for it.
    @EmilySBaxter - I'd never heard of a swaddling blanket before either. Who knew?!?! I'm just glad I've got one now!

    As for the mess, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes feels like I can barely keep up with it in the summer months! The oxiclean bucket is a good idea. Actually, it's a great idea! If I can come up with a spot that my toddler won't get into when I'm not looking, I will definitely try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I hear ya on the grass in the house! I JUST thought of this last night as I was assessing our problem, so although this seems genius to me right now, I can't say it's tried and true. I'm putting a bucket of water outside the door on the porch with a towel. I'm hoping a quick dip and wipe dry will cut back on all the sand/grass that is making it's way inside. We do this with the pool before getting in and although it doesn't eliminate it COMPLETELY it sure cuts back IMMENSELY on it. I'm hoping to get the same results for in here. Thought I'd pass it on and you can try it out too! Your house has come so far in just a few years! I remember how it was 'back in the day'. So cool! How many rooms has your bedroom been in now?! ;) I bet you're ready to settle it and be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you still have LHFHG? I'm really considering using it M and A for next year and I sold mine a few years back so I could afford to purchase Beyond. I wasn't sure if you plan on hanging onto it for the future but if not and you're looking to unload some curriculum I'd MUCH rather pay you than someone I don't know for it. Let me know. I completely understand if you want to keep it for the 'just in case I go back to HOD" situation. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. @michelleross - I actually lent it out this past year. Let me get it back and see what condition it's in. I'm not sure whether or not I want to sell it, but I'd be happy to lend it to you, that's for sure! I won't be using it this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @brietta - Someone today offered me a really good price for the whole set so I think I'll just buy it from them. That way I'll have it for the future if/when I need to use it again. I'm hoping next year to start a "school fund" so I don't have to do the whole buying/selling thing. It just gets exhausting and it's a good bit of work.  But thank you so much for offering to lend it to me!! 

    ReplyDelete