Friday, May 11, 2012

Curriculum


It's that time of year. We're in the countdown to wrapping up the 2011-2012 school year (9 math lessons, 4 pages of handwriting, 10 history lessons, etc.), which for me always means one thing: I am already looking at and dreaming about curriculum options for next year. I'm pretty sure that pouring over catalogs and websites and wishing that somehow we could do it all is a sure sign that I love homeschooling!

I haven't purchased anything yet so nothing is completely set in stone, but since it's helpful and inspiring and interesting to me to see what others are considering, I figure I'll share the plans that are rolling around in my head in case it's also helpful to you!

1. Bible

        

We have many wonderful children's Bibles and I love them all. But we've used and reused them quite a bit-- and we also come up short-handed (more kids than Bibles!) when I tell everyone to sit down first thing to do some personal Bible reading. I'm planning on buying the Old Testament and New Testament Story Bibles for Older Children by Anne DeVries for Gabriel to use, while I'll have Bronwyn continue reading out of Arthur Maxwell's 10-volume Bible Story set (which is what I read as a child) and Jackson continue reading out of The Early Reader's Bible (which is what both Gabriel and then Bronwyn started with). For family devotions, we love Mary Batchelor's The Children's Bible in 365 Stories.


2. Math

         

Math was probably the simplest decision for me this year. The math we used this past year proved to be a great fit for each child (and for me as the teacher), so that's what we're sticking with. Gabriel and Bronwyn will use Teaching Textbooks, grades 5 and 4, and Jackson and Aubrey will use Bob Jones, grades 2 and K5.


3. Early Reading/Phonics 

   

I've never used a phonics curriculum so I don't plan on using one with Aubrey either. This isn't because I'm against phonics programs, but simply because the "method" for teaching children to read that I first tried has worked exceptionally well for my kids so far. I guess I figure that as long as it's working and I am excited about it, we won't change anything. The foundation of the method I use is laid out in Ruth Beechick's A Home Start In Reading. Just like with the other children, I will begin Aubrey with that method and then add in Explode The Code's primer series, Get Ready for The Code, Get Set for The Code and Go for The Code, as a supplement. The A Beka readers that were passed on to me from my mom round out our reading program and are great at getting beginners reading "books" very quickly, making for some proud moments that I absolutely look forward to with each child!

I had been thinking up until about a week ago that I would continue with Explode The Code for Jackson, too (he is finishing up Book 4 right now), but reading "clicked" just in the past several days and immediately upon that happening, his excitement about these workbooks is diminishing. Now that he's starting to really and truly grasp reading, he is also feeling the repetition of the program (which is, I think, a positive for children who are not yet reading independently, but does potentially get boring for the child who is getting established in reading).


4. Handwriting

      

Back when Gabriel was in 1st grade and Bronwyn was in K, I started using Getty-Dubay's Italic Handwriting series. It isn't the way I first learned to write, so at the time I wasn't sure how I felt about it. As we've progressed through the program, though, I can see how perhaps it is a great way to teach penmanship for two reasons: 1. it flows into cursive more naturally, and 2. it seems more practical in a world that uses a hybrid of printing & cursive in adulthood. I have children in all different books in the series-- A, C, E, and F-- and am very pleased with my children's handwriting, which is I guess a good test of a handwriting curriculum.

This year I'm going to try a copywork series by Sandi Queen for Gabriel, Bronwyn, and Jackson. I've never seen it before so I have no idea how we'll like it, but I do love the descriptions-- and the cover art is enough to make it appealing to try!

We've not done formal grammar yet, but now that Gabriel is well established in a love for writing, I want to add in more study of the mechanics. This boy of mine writes and writes and writes-- I can see him becoming a well-written man someday if I can guide him without squashing his passion for it. With that in mind, I'm going to be using A Beka's Language 3, but we won't go overboard with it. I'll probably use it 2x/week at most and I'll continue to let his "free" writing (he loves to write books*-- he's on the 4th book in a series he's currently writing!) be just that: free. I may also include Bronwyn in this, though I haven't decided for sure.

*I keep our cupboard well stocked with blank white bound books from Bare Books. Homeschoolers do get the school/business shipping rate, too, which I think is awesome!


5. History

   

This fall we're going to put our Beautiful Feet Early American History study on hold in order to join with some other students in a study about the Titanic/1912/the Progressive Era/etc. I'm already having lots of fun finding resources, including a 1912 Paris fashion coloring book for Bronwyn, literature that was published at that time for reading, documentaries for watching, and museums for visiting (please, can we take a field trip or two, honey?), and I can't wait to dive in! All the kids will be involved in this since unit/family study/learning together is one of my very favorite things about homeschooling.


6. Science

   

To go along with our Titanic inspired study, I'm leaning toward getting Apologia's Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day. My kids are fascinated by sea life and exploration, and I think they would really enjoy this.

We'll also continue with nature journaling (inspired by Keeping a Nature Journal). Last fall I purchased each of the three older children nice spiral bound sketchbooks that they are systematically adding to a bit at a time. These journals have drawings, poems, pressed leaves and flowers, etc. in them. Currently, the emphasis has been drawing birds, which is what Gabriel has been learning on Fridays in his art class and then comes home and teaches the others.


7. Art

Although I'm no artist (ha!), I do love art and my children love art, so if we have time we'll do a small study of famous pieces of art and artists using Usborne's The Children's Book of Art as our spring board. This is less essential since art is included at Friday School, which means that if the other elements of homeschooling are taking up all our time, we can shelve the idea for another time/year if need be.


8. Physical Education

No textbooks here! We cover health, hygiene, etc. in daily life with reminders ("Flush the toilet AND wash your hands, please!"), discussion, doctor's visits, treating sickness, talking about Aubrey's heart, caring for younger siblings, and more.

Exercise and activity looks like a lot of outdoor play, gym class at Friday School, basketball & baseball with church/community leagues for the boys, and ballet for the girls (Aubrey is already pretty determined that she wants to do ballet and not basketball, T-ball, gymnastics, or any other thing an older sibling might suggest). Bronwyn has started running with me now that I'm running again and Gabriel has started running with Daniel. Hopefully we'll be able to keep it up since they both love it.

 

And that's it in a nutshell. Again, pretty much nothing is set in stone and there's still more exploring to do, but I'm excited about the planning and dreaming! And I always take recommendations if you know of something that you think, after reading this, that I'll love! :)

 

9 comments:

  1. We used the A Beka's Language 3 this year and, by way of fair warning, Joel munched through it like popcorn in less than 12 weeks, so we then went into Rod & Staff English 3 which has been tedious to say the least.  (He HATES it, but I do think it is thorough.)  I really do think that 3rd grade material is generally very foundational in terms of formal grammar so I think it's a great place to dig in for a child that hasn't formally studied before.At this point, the boys will most likely not be homeschooled next year, but if they are in the future, we probably won't use Rod & Staff English unless I'd want it for reference.  Seth started A Beka Language 2 maybe 8 weeks ago and it proved to be a very natural step up from Sing Spell Read & Write.  He's taking it slowly and really enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @High_Note - I'm glad for the feedback! I've never used much A Beka stuff, so that's the one thing I've been the most hesitant about. It seems like a sturdy foundation and when talking with other moms, they all seem to like 3 better than 4, which is why I want to go with that. If Gabriel plows through it, I might be stuck for what to do next, but I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO fun! I like all you've chosen! I'm still torn on some things. I have to keep telling myself any choices made now if I hate them or he does WILL NOT KILL US or SET US BACK. I'm new at this though OK, and learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ReneeOckrin - Exactly. And also? Don't feel like when you pick something that you have to stick with it for Sophia and/or Liam, etc. Changing things up-- even things that worked but you're tired of!-- is important to keeping learning fresh for everyone involved. So just because you settle on something now, you're not committed to it for life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the choices. I just love hearing/seeing what other people are doing!!Erin would love a in depth study of the Titanic (and ME too!). She just has a natural love for all things Titanic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for
    this! I was searching for a science program for my animal lover. Book 3 of,
    Exploring Creation with Zoology, Land Animals, will be perfect!! For handwriting
    this past year we have used, A Reason for Handwriting. I like it, but I think
    Cassidy quickly grew bored with it. Next year we will be using, CopyWork for
    Animal Lovers. I LOVE seeing
    what other mom’s use for curriculum. 
    Thanks again for the info! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you or have you used for spelling? I'm using Apples and Pears for Erin but she struggles with spelling. Maygen on the other hand is a very natural speller and I'm just starting to look into spelling programs for her. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. @michelleross - I actually don't use anything. I HATED spelling as a kid, so I'm sure this has something to do with that decision. :)  Honestly, though? I think the best way to learn good spelling is to read lots. I'd rather assign my kids more reading than a spelling lesson. That said, as they get older, if any/all of them seem to struggle still with spelling they by then should have a handle on, I'm sure I'll get an actual spelling program.Sorry-- that's probably not much help! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @brietta - I was considering just using the words at the end of each ETC lesson as spelling words for the week for Maygen. Then I don't have to actually buy a spelling curriculum and those are words we would have been focusing on anyways. Erin can easily read at a 5th grade level but in terms of spelling she's probably at a 1st grade level. It's really weird. Although, in the last month I've seen some major improvements. Complete side note but I can't believe that Aubrey will be starting K in the fall. Our kids are growing up so.very.fast.

    ReplyDelete