Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Topsy Turvy

There are many things that contribute to a topsy turvy feeling these days (the house project is actually quite low on the list), but I choose not to yield to the feeling. I know the truth, and that is that I serve a loving and pursuing God.

In the meantime, I find ways to bring order around me. This includes getting back to a better routine of getting into prayer the minute my eyes open and before I fully enter into the day. I love those first moments with Jesus when my soul is reminded (first thing!) that this day is a gift and that I belong to Him.

Also, I organize. Yesterday I overhauled the kitchen. Every drawer and cabinet was emptied, the contents washed and rearranged (even including cabinet shelf placements!). Ah... A deep-cleaned kitchen = a happy homemaker!

 

I wanted to organize the laundry room/mudroom yesterday, but held off because I had spent the morning immersed in the kitchen and I did feel like I needed to prioritize being nice to my children (!) during the afternoon. I admit: the goal-/task-oriented part of me often needs to make just being the objective or that can get lost in the shuffle.

This morning, though, I promised myself the opportunity to dive in. I had a deadline: be done in time for a 10:30am hair appointment. I succeeded, despite the challenges of organizing this space (it's a small room that serves many functions and holds a significant amount of stuff that needs to be easily accessible at all times).

It would probably be nice to have cute labels, but for now, masking tape does the trick of telling everyone where to put "on-the-go electronics," "winter hats, scarves & gloves," "gardening supplies," "summer hats & sunglasses," and "baseball gloves & balls."


Besides starting my day with the Lord and organizing, looking at good things helps refresh my soul, too.

I love this picture that Gabriel contributed to our art string. I'd like to have him, with the help of an artist friend, do an enlarged, more polished version to hang above the mantel in my sitting room.


I continue to love my homemade chalkboard with its ever-changing Scripture, hymn, or poem.


I look at the garden almost everyday. You never know what might be blooming tomorrow that isn't blooming today! Right now, it's my astilbe, beebalm, hollyhock, and daisy. I try not to pick favorites, but I sure am loving the vibrant color of the astilbe (far left) this year.


4 comments:

  1. Your beautiful, organized rooms and garden are very inspiring.  And Gabriel's drawing is wonderful.  I think very soon, my kitchen(s) will be getting a similar overhaul...though they still won't look nearly so pretty when I'm done ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the boots in the mudroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... a beautiful garden is such a joy, a feast for the soul's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is just lovely. Really. LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete