Thursday, March 19, 2009

About


We have been on a mini family get-away since Monday. It has been wonderful. I don't want to go home, but this evening we'll make the 1 hour drive back to our little yellow house and get back to normal routines.

I've taken as many pictures as I possibly could on a camera that was low on battery power (I can only think about so many things ahead of time, you know?) and will share them soon. Our internet connection here is... slow... so you'll have to wait until I get home.

In the meantime, here are answers to the Top 10 questions I was asked [non-stop] over the weekend:

1. Yes, I'm due mid-October.

2. Yes, we've known since early February.

3. Yes, the is the first time we've not told people right away.

4. Yes, Aubrey is still nursing a lot. So far, so good. It's been more painful for me, but she is finally exploring other foods in the past few weeks so that I'm not having to nurse quite as often as before.

5. Yes, I'm planning on a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). I'm a great candidate for all intents and purposes, but I live in a really rural location so I still have an uphill battle.

6. Yes, I've been pretty sick. Most mornings start with me puking in the toilet and then it's anybody's guess from there as to how the rest of the day will play out. But I must say, I've been only nauseous while on vacation, and it makes me wonder if recent stress was as much the cause of my terrible "morning" sickness as anything.

7. Yes, I've been exhausted. Really, really, really exhausted. Between weeks 5 and 7, in particular, I was going to bed most nights between 8 and 8:30p. I kid you not.

8. Yes, five (as opposed to "just four") somehow launches us into a new category of Big Families. I already feel it. And I have to admit that there's this pressure to somehow be the perfect mom in order to prove that Big Families can be a positive thing in a culture that tends toward disdain for them. I keep reminding myself that we didn't take this step of faith because we're perfect or because I'm more cut out for it than the next woman (because, um, I'm not): we're taking this step of faith because we have a big God who has impressed on our hearts His love for children and the next generation, and I can trust Him to make up what I lack.

9. Yes, I am considered a high-risk pregnancy because of Aubrey's congenital anomolies. I will be sent to Syracuse for a fetal echocardiogram between 20 and 25 weeks for an in-depth scan of the baby's heart. Doctors here have made it very clear that they don't want to ever again deliver a baby as sick as Aubrey in our hospital if at all possible and, though it's fairly unlikely that we will have a repeat of events, they definitely want to play things safe rather than sorry.

10. Yes, we are increasingly excited! I'm not going to lie: I've over-analyzed everything I eat, drink, and am exposed to more than has been good for me. I'm more nervous than I should be about something going wrong. I feel alternately impatient about getting to the end and wanting to just stay right here and now because it feels more safe and sure. But God has swept me up in encouragement and support and prayer and words of faith in the short half a week people have known about this newest baby, and today I know one thing: I can trust Him. And that's enough to make anyone ready for the future.


18 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like someone asked most of the questions I wanted to know the answers to.   The only other think I wanted to ask was whether or not you might be thinking twins?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygoodness.
    I hope it's twins!
    In regard to #10, thank you for your honesty and willingness to trust.
    Let it all go. Let God knit that baby together and do what He does best. Don't make yourself nuts, now. If you start questioning every little thing you'll end up like an old college friend of mine who wouldn't visit with you in a room unless it had a carbon-monoxide detector in it and she carried around her own water filter! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys already make having big families a positive thing.... so get rid of that pressure!, because we all know it's a God thing not a Daniel and Brietta thing (tho will admit you guys do make amazing parents!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list is an encouragment, I couldn't keep our finding out so early quiet though. I was overly excited and told our close family and small group of friends. I've been scared very much so because we are considered high risk as well and other issues, but I believe in the Lord and I know he hears my prayers !!! I keep you in my prayers and your family :) congrats !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @High_Note - Oh my!   I don't think so!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more question: Do you have a guess as to what he/she is???? I'm going to say girl only b/c if I say boy then you would have a rotating pattern of boy, girl, boy, girl, boy and I'll just die!!! LOL!
    (I'm going to say the annointing is pretty much gone but I was right on the last several babies  Zach threw me off though!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, 5 does seem like a whole new category.  But then again, so does 3 so maybe it's just odd numbers?!
    And I'd like to announce my guess as to the sex (although I retain the right to change my vote should I have a dream, cause my dreams are 100% on).  I'm going with girl and here's why: Your boys are Jan and Feb.  Your girls are Aug and Sept...and now October!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @michelleross - that's cause he was a boy...you're good at guessing girls!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh and I just realized they are Aug 12, Sept 13...so why not?  I'll say Oct 14!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @sarahk04 - You're right, the odd numbers do seem to represent a whole new "category" of family!  Why is that????

    ReplyDelete
  11. @michelleross - @sarahk04 - Okay, so I've been guessing boy this whole time.Which only means one thing, right???It's a girl! Seriously, though, I really could go either way.  I've definitely been leaning toward boy, but Daniel is already making fun of me because I always think boy when we're having a girl.  And because he thinks it would be way too perfectionist of me to alternate genders for 5 straight kids!Oh, and Sarah, I will join you in predicting (aka hoping) for a baby on Oct 14.  I've found 2 doctors (after calling about a gazillion) who have given me the go-ahead for a VBAC-- only on the condition that I don't go beyond my due date.  In fact, they told me they'll schedule me for the c-section either on the 18th or 19th, period.  Yikes!   This could be the first time I ever seriously consider caster oil!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny that the other commenters here think the odd numbers are the "big" ones. I have always thought that the jumps from 3--4 and from 5--6 were the ones that really made people think twice! Probably b/c when you have 4, you are obviously not on the typical "2 girls and a boy" plan and are going for the "big family". And IMO, when you go from 4 to 5, no one is too surprised, b/c they already knew you wanted a "big family" from when you went to 4. But IMO, the "normal" big family ppl do not venture beyond 5... Five is the limit for a big family who is still considered "normal". :D And once you hit six, you might as well have 10.. .you are considered one of THOSE families... LOL! So I wouldn't be stressing just yet, Brietta... save that for next time around!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Brietta :) So, so happy for you all! Praying with you with love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear, Dear Brietta,  We are so very happy for you and were thrilled when Daniel called to tell us.  We will be praying for all of you and rejoice as God is Good and we will trust Him and Him alone always.  Love to All,  Great Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  15. brietta,i  have a lot  to  say,but another time. i would liketo announce, however, that i  actually had a VBAC after THREE-yes count them that's 3 -THREE c-sections....none of them planned, (all huge emotional ordeals for me) and all after several hrs of labor w/almost no progress...anyway... i had a VBAC this last time, due  to, I am convinced, prayer-i  had an intercessor on it the entire timeand she  was there in the hospital too. God is so so good and I am so so blessed!!!  so, i'm certain there is no c-section in your future. ah, how theLord takes care ofthings and knows our needs. He is so good.so very very good, and this i knowyou already know... so  happy for the two of you andyour family! :)  

    ReplyDelete
  16. @angelwez - Yes, I'm feeling very positive about my body's ability to deliver this baby naturally. I guess I'm more than a little skeptical about the doctors/hospital here (we don't even have a 3-11pm OR nurse shift because it's such a small/rural hospital), but I'm praying that all goes well and it never even becomes an issue!  Be praying with me that I, for the first time ever, go into labor BEFORE my due date, as the only 2 doctors I've found who are even willing to talk VBAC with me have made it clear that they "will not allow" me to go overdue...

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you go on October 14 she'll share a b-day with Erin!! Or he will...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been thinking about you a lot lately -and wondering a lot as well since we are sharing some similarities... 
    FIrst of all, I laughed when you mentioned that nursing was painful now.  At first I wondered "why in the world is it more painful".  Then Cole came over and asked to nurse while still reading.  Yup, I get it!  Ouch... it is almost enough for me to encourage him to stop soon.  Are you planning to keep nursing her through this pregnancy and possibly tandem nurse?  I am considering it but wonder how that will affect the milk for new baby and the fact that I always "labor" early on -will it increase my chances for early labor again...  Hmm....
    I am also dealing with a Dr change and wondered what you were doing.  If I were still in NY, Dr Lyons would be my choice without a doubt and he had already told me that he would allow vbac before my due date -same as with you.  Here, it took me several calls to find a Dr that would!  And the hospital that is closest to me, wont do ANY vbacs at all!  I will be driving 30+ mins to Savannah for my Dr and delivery now.  The upside is that I will be at the top hospital in the area -sort of like delivering right at Crouse.  Have you decided on who you are seeing? 
    On the post-section too...  I have noticed a lot more tugging/pulling/light cramping this time and wondered if that is happening to you as well?  I always pop/pouch early but the tugging is different.  At first I actually thought I was mc-ing but then realized it was not actual cramping. 
    Just some of my thoughts lately! 

    ReplyDelete