Thursday, April 14, 2016

seven months

I meant to write an update on Aubrey when we reached the six months post-op mark. Truly, I did.

And then it got swallowed up in a final, crazy, and somewhat hectic push to get the new house ready for habitation. The thought was there, but the time was not.

So here we are, April 14th. We're 4 days past seven months since Aubrey had corrective open heart surgery, and she continues to thrive.

Just yesterday, I was trying to catch up on ordering prints for our photo albums and I couldn't believe how much healthier she looks now than she did a year ago. It's been gradual in many ways-- especially since she came home severely anemic and, of course, recovering from surgery-- and so I don't always see it. But as I looked over snapshots from 2015, I couldn't help but note the purple lips in every summer picture, the abdomen swollen disproportionately with fluid retention, the puffy toes.

I had taken those things as normal.

I didn't even know there was a better.

But no more.

And, granted, she's still not 100% like other kids. I don't know if she'll ever be, but suddenly I have a picture into what God can do, and so I assume nothing. His plans are good for her, that much I know. And the trial by fire that this unique little girl has already gone through has been used by the Lord to make her strong and sober.

Her heart beats in what's called a junctional rhythm when she's resting, but a 24-hour test plus some simple in-office tests indicated that whenever she's active, it slips into a proper rhythm. This may be one of those things that sorts itself out in time or she may live the rest of her life with it. So far, it's not a reason for a pacemaker, that's for sure.

Next fall, they want to do a heart catheterization to look at her heart after a year. We are already praying for a great report.

In the meantime, she really is thriving. Growing. Improving. Wide-eyed. Laughing more. Interested more. Attitude-y more! Whenever she stomps her foot and tosses her hair, I am immediately struck by the spark that is there that we've never before encountered. When she chases Oliver around and around the dining room table and I wonder why she's acting like a toddler, I remember that she never had those normal toddler years. Even these things are an indication of the vitality that has replaced lethargy.

Academics, which have up until now been a S T R U G G L E, are gradually beginning to click for her. She finished her 1st grade math, which she'd been doggedly plugging away at for over a year, and is now half way through Math 2. She is making up ground every single day!


Last summer, she suddenly became aware of the fact that she couldn't read when all her peers could. It's been agonizing to her. We keep encouraging her to just keep working at it, and she has done just that. I am far prouder of her discipline and determination than I am of the fact that words are starting to come together for her. God will use this, just like He will use ALL of it.


She finished her first year playing organized basketball and will soon begin playing junior softball. She came into the season with ZERO ball experience and ended with a confidence and interest.
 
 
Her lips and fingers are pink. Her eyes sparkle. She doesn't ever look puffy. I can never take such simple things for granted again!

No comments:

Post a Comment