Thursday, September 11, 2014

putting the Big Rocks in first

Years ago, when I first began this homeschooling journey, I knew that I wanted to embrace The Four Pillars of Christian Homeschooling that my own dear mother had stumbled upon and walked out and taught. I wanted this homeschooling thing to be about so much more than just academics. I agreed with her: I wanted it to be about firstly loving God, then loving home & family, then loving work, and then loving learning.

But how to make it practical and tangible in our daily ins and outs, I wondered?

I was very convinced that I needed to arrange my day so that not only was I telling my kids that this was the order of importance, but so that we were living it. I can't drum up love in their hearts for any of these things-- this is the work of the Holy Spirit-- but prayerfully I can live an example and create an environment that cooperates with and fosters this work!

And so our morning routine began seven years ago, when I had a 5-1/2-year-old boy as my only pupil and his three younger siblings (ages 4, 2-1/2, and 1) tagging along, with putting the Big Rocks in first.

Personal quiet times, even before they could really read and write.

Take a few minutes, look at that picture Bible, talk to Jesus, ask Him to speak to you.

Then, as learning progressed and years passed by, blank journals given so they can write in them: thoughts, impressions from what they're reading, prayer requests. At age 9 or 10, we've begun giving them as their Christmas or birthday gift a genuine leather Bible with their name embossed on it, and it is joy unspeakable that my oldest two prize these books as some of their most precious belongings.



Breakfast together, as much as possible. Whether it's just the kids (maybe I simply have to take a shower then because of something scheduled shortly after), the kids and I, or the entire family, I try very hard to make this one of the consistent things we do each day. Not so much because there's anything intrinsically important about a shared breakfast, but because it's an opportunity to early on each morning reinforce that family-- these relationships right here in the home-- matters. And this way, even if the rest of the day falls apart and we barely get a chance to breathe from here on in, we've had this time together.

How are you? How did you sleep? What are you excited about today? Did you read anything interesting in your quiet time?

Thirty minutes for us to connect over food. We read from our devotional, talk, memorize Scripture, pray.




Chores come next. In addition to this serving the practical purpose of getting things within our jurisdiction in order so that we can have more productive school time, learning to work hard is an important skill. I tell my kids all the time that when they are grown, their employer(s) will be far more impressed by how they can roll up their sleeves and get the job done than by how many facts they can rattle off, or how terrific their ideas are, or how smart they seem. Not that those things are bad (they aren't!), but are you also able to clean the toilet, swing the hammer, wash their feet when necessary?

Do what's asked without complaining. Work cheerfully as unto the Lord. Go above and beyond the call of duty. Serve.

This curriculum proves to be a lasting one. I need the reminders as often as they do!



Then learning, and how I pray this hunger for learning only increases in each of them! I don't want their education to be a series of facts put to memory, a book load of information filed away, data that has been downloaded; I want them to be curious about, excited for, drawn to, and always learning! I want them to learn a lifestyle of learning and I want it-- whatever it is at that particular moment-- to come alive.

I begin our school mornings with reading out loud to them, not because they can't read the same exact material on their own (three of them can), but because I like the practice of them learning to engage in this way.

What do you think of this? How would they have felt? Tell me what you just saw/heard! Do you see how orderly that is? What does this tell you about God?

We do things together as much as possible: science and history and nature journaling. We take the work outside, we accompany it with hot tea on cold mornings, we let ourselves travel down bunny trails, we create and draw and explore.

Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly generous, we even make a mess! (Ha!)



I'm thankful for seven years under our belt now of building upon these practices, of "emptying the jar" regularly in order to make sure we really are getting the Big Rocks in first. And guess what? The workbooks, the test, the line upon line, precept upon precept gets done! It calls to mind this verse:

Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.
Don’t worry about missing out.
You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
Matthew 6:33


When we are obedient to what He's asking us to do, all else falls into its proper place. Perhaps it gets done, perhaps it doesn't. But what matters it that you did the most important things.

Perhaps you haven't yet decided what are the Big Rocks-- the most important goals-- in your home and for your family. May I suggest that you read The Four Pillars of Christian Homeschooling as a great place to work from?

Or perhaps you have the Big Rocks figured out, but the pressure of a culture that idolizes academics combined with the burden of trying to prove something as a homeschooling family has caused you to get in a rut of prioritizing something that isn't actually most important to you. I love the new school year and then the new calendar year for assessing and getting back on track!

Your Big Rocks may be the same as mine, but look different in practical outworking. That's okay! Just make sure you're doing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment