Thursday, September 12, 2013

our very own Little Red Riding Hood

This past Saturday, we celebrated Aubrey's long-anticipated sixth birthday. Ohmy would this day ever come? she wondered.

And at last, it did.

But let me rewind.

Growing up, my mom established a few "big" birthday years for us kids. I think she [wisely] anticipated being either fried by trying to do a huge bash every year for every kid, or else dropping the ball at some point. I'm sure both would have most likely happened if she hadn't seen the train comin'.

I liked the pattern so much, and then our own little family grew so quickly (Gabriel was barely 4-1/2 years old when Aubrey, baby #4, arrived on the scene), that I decided we would do something similar in our home. Most years, we celebrate with some family, perhaps a friend or two, and a simple lunch/dinner of the birthday boy/girl's choosing. While we still haven't quite figured out what all the "big" celebration years will be and what exactly they will look like, one thing is firmly established: turning 6 means a bigger guest list, a party theme, games and prizes, and the whole enchilada.

[Well, the whole enchilada if you don't consider a bouncy house and clowns to be essential, because we've never had either of those.]

At least two years ago-- maybe even three, though my memory fails me on exactly when-- Aubrey decided her sixth birthday would be a Little Red Riding Hood Party. Being the stubborn and choleric little girl that she is, she never wavered once from that decision. I didn't try to persuade her out of it either because, well, Little Red Riding Hood sounded quite delightful and unusual to me.

It ended up being a bit harder to plan than anticipated. Apparently many Little Red Riding Hood parties aren't quite as *ahem* innocent and little girlish as I'd figured they must be. Consequently, there are no pre-designed paper napkins or Pin The Hood On Red Riding Hood games to be bought. Thank goodness for pinterest is all I can say. It helped spur me onto a path of picnic/woods theme that ended up being quite delightful.

And quite simple!

Supplies included the most wonderful invitations custom-made by my friend, Dollar Tree baskets, lots of cheap fabric and ribbon from Walmart, accumulated-over-the-years berry baskets and half-pint mason jars, wood from the backyard, photocopied pages from a much-loved copy of Little Red Riding Hood, and a whole lot of hot glue.

Oh, and the cutest little handmade wolf mask that Aubrey's cousin-friend guest William came wearing.



The dining room ended up being the focal point of much of my energies. I had contemplated doing an outdoor table, but the forecast looked iffy and I didn't relish the thought of a last-minute relocation indoors. I cut lots and lots of fabric pennants, hot glued them to red and white baking twine, and that helped set a picnic mood.

$1 baskets lined with inexpensive fabric became the perfect place setting and inspired a very simple picnic-lunch theme. After being offered whatever she wanted for the menu (including the rare and indulgent treat of cold cuts), she chose peanut butter and nutella sandwiches, sun chips, pink lemonade, and bananas.

Lord love ya, Aubrey.



And, of course, cake.

Made by Aunt Beanz, who will try her hand at anything for these little nieces and nephews of hers. Aubrey was beyond thrilled.



If you know me, you know I'm not much for games at parties. I generally forget that such things even exist. In other words: if you've always dreamed of a baby shower with baby-food-tasting games, don't ask me to host.

But I do my best for these #6 parties of my kids.

Fortunately, 6-year-olds are easily amused, so the game selection isn't difficult. And even their grown-up guests are very obliging!

We went with musical chairs (set to the tune of "Into The Woods"), a good old fashioned sack race, and a plastic food scavenger hunt. The sack race was the funniest to watch; the scavenger hunt seemed to be the kids' hands-down favorite.




What party is complete without gifts? And Aubrey was showered with them. As they arrived, she seemed absolutely blown away. The wide-eyed wonder-- all this for me?-- is one tremendous fringe benefit of having small celebrations most years.



I was a little tentative going into party day. After all, if Aubrey had been dreaming of this party for so much of her short life, would I be able to deliver? It was a slightly intimidating question!

I needn't have worried.

She was queen for a day, a conscientious host (even going so far as to lose musical chairs on purpose to make sure a guest won the prize for it), and the cutest Little Red Riding Hood I've ever seen.

What special memories of a special girl and her many special friends, the kind this mama tucks away to remember for years and years and years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment