Thursday, January 26, 2012

Preparing


Ready or not, it suddenly hit us recently that there's a baby coming.

In, like, 2 months.

And we've done, like, not much to get ready.

When these sorts of thoughts hit (and they seem to hit harder and later with each pregnancy, probably because the days seem to go by faster and with less time to think ahead with each passing year!), I remember that we will do what we can do and also that, really, a baby slips into a home without needing a whole lot besides... well... me. And, honestly, what a privilege that is!

Still, there are some things that really need to be attended to in preparation for a baby, and even just for the sake of the whole family as we adjust to a new member.

I am no poster-child for baby preparation. Pottery Barn Kids will not be calling me to take pictures of our nursery (which is non-existent) and Parenting magazine will not be asking me to write an article on the Top 10 Ways To Get Ready For Baby. But despite what may look like less-than-American methods of preparing, we have begun preparing in our own way and making lists of things to prioritize in the coming weeks.

 

#1 Preparation: Get Prenatal Care & A Delivery Plan

I realized about 4 weeks ago that the perfect delivery plan probably wasn't going to fall into my lap out of nowhere and that I was going to find myself delivering in my living room and by myself by default if I didn't figure something out. I will confess that for a few days I very seriously entertained the idea of an unassisted childbirth, but I realized (with the help of my husband and some good friends) that having someone with some medical knowledge on hand (which both Daniel and I completely lack) was probably wise in my situation.

So, to make a long story filled with many phone calls and much frustration short:

I think I've found a doctor who is willing to give me a VBAC, and she's only an hour away! She does have a higher cesarean section rate than I would prefer, but she said the magic words that are really what I've been wanting to hear: "Of course I'll let you VBAC. As far as I'm concerned, now that you've had one successful VBAC, you don't even need special treatment. I also don't care if you swing from the chandeliers while laboring if that's what helps you, and I certainly would never make you deliver in the OR."

And she says willing to let me bring a doula of my choosing to help manage the birth, which was one of the significant losses (in my opinion) of delivering in the OR: not being able to have anyone but Daniel there to encourage me and share in the day. My mom hasn't been with me since the birth of Jackson, and I'm looking forward to having her with me again, to say the least.

I'll see this doctor again in a little less than 2 weeks and hopefully continue to find that she's as great as she initially seems.

 

#2 Preparation: Do Whatever It Takes To Increase My Iron

My 28-week bloodwork came back confirming my fears about my iron levels: my hemoglobin is down to 8.3 (yikes, for sure). For those who don't know numbers on these things, let's just say that that's lower than what many women have after they give birth. No wonder I've been SO tired!

I've made floradix my best friend these past months, so now it's just a matter of making sure that just about every calorie I take in is super high in iron and/or protein. While I don't relish the thought of eating blackstrap molasses by the tablespoon, I prefer that idea to one of postpartum hemorrhaging or even just a longer-than-usual recovery. I think I'll also have to learn how to cook liver, which is something I've never actually eaten, let alone prepared, before. Recipes involving high-iron foods are welcomed, but please remember that I'm super exhausted-- so they have to be easy!

 

 

#3 Preparation: Take Ground With Home Renovations

We are not "nursery people." My babies sleep in a sweet basket right in my room for the first while and that is how we like it. (Easy enough.) But, we still need a place to keep clothes and diapers and things like that, and our small bedroom simply doesn't have an inch to spare for such things.

Not a problem, since the guest room upstairs will double as the "baby's room" (aka "baby's storage") for a while, right?

Right.

Except that the room kinda needs some TLC.

 

Actually, considering the fact that it didn't even exist 6 months ago, it looks amazing. And truth be told, it looks even better right now than this picture (which is about a week old) shows, since it's now primed and the ceiling is painted, thanks to the Lafaver men and their speedy paint sprayer.

All I need to do is muster up enough energy to get the walls painted and then, regardless of no flooring and no trim and no closet doors, I will put the baby's dresser right in that little nook and then!-- then I will have a place to put the things I have recently begun collecting for the baby, which will mean that the basket-bed will no longer be a storage place and may actually be available for the baby to sleep in!

 

#4 Preparation: Choose Baby Names

I have to admit, we really haven't gotten very far with this one. I have a few names I kind of like, but I'm not sure I love any of them. Daniel hasn't really given much input yet. He has pretty good excuses these days, seeing as he's been using every spare minute to do things that will restore greater peace and functionality to our home-- things like running plumbing (alongside Megan, who is awesome and got the job done so fast!) in the future upstairs bathroom.

 

I'm beyond glad we have plumbing, but I also realize that if this child is nameless for the entirety of his/her life, he/she won't care a bit about our thoroughness with the upstairs bathroom remodel, so the goal is to make some progress in this department sooner rather than later.

Seeing as how it takes me longer than 2 months to pick out what kind of light fixture I want for the upstairs landing, I better get thinking on that, huh?

 

#5 Preparation: Enjoy This Season

Between exhaustion and on-going projects, it can be easy to lose sight of how special each and every day is, which is why I am so very thankful for the Holy Spirit's clear reminders of late to treasure each moment. This day is unique and never to be repeated. Wow! I don't want to get so antsy in my own "nesting" urges, or so caught up in what needs to be done, or so anxious to just plain old feel better, that I lose sight of the most important thing I can be doing: loving where He's put me and who He's put me with.

 

14 comments:

  1. That is such good news for you! Who is this doctor and how come she wasn't on the radar before? Or was she? And your mom there! How wonderful. I can imagine she is just as excited and happy to be there with you as you are to have some other form of female encouragement to help get you through.  Nothing against husbands (they def serve a BIG purpose and I'm that much better in labor with Gabe right there I know it) but yah...you know what I mean! ;) Keep resting up as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found this doctor - praying that your visit goes REALLY well and that you are super-comfortable with her.
    I'm pretty sure that Cream of Wheat is high in iron (one label I saw said one serving had 66% RDA of iron) - might be a nice change from oatmeal, if you like it (I love it).  Eating foods with vitamin C also helps iron absorption.  8.3 is about where I was after Larry was born and I needed a transfusion - so you must be feeling EXHAUSTED!  I hope you are getting some rest in the midst of all this preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You still have to watch with liver, the liver is where all the poisons go, so it would be limited like tuna fish I think.  But it is high in iron and because of that and your need for it not be a bad thing...I always craved steak when I was pregnant, I think red meat has the most iron.  We are in another phase, Matthew moved out.  It's a good thing, I'm surprised how many people are shocked...he's not far away and he really needed to be on his own.  He was anyway....didn't require anything of us.  Of course I wish he had a better job, degree etc...but I think these things will come at the right time. Alan is in his last year of school.  Joy is really just starting.  I'm kind of looking forward to having only one to school.  16 years of homeschool gets long....

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...Alan didn't have a name for a day after he was born....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brietta, you might try cooking in a cast iron pan. The food, especially liquid-y foods absorb iron from the pan and it can really boost your intake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please try eating beets...they are great for boosting iron. They can be eaten so many different ways, pickled, roasted, in salads, alone, they really are great, try them please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A VBAC with a doc who is only an hour away!!! Yeah!!!! How did you stumble across her? What hospital is it?The renovations seem to be coming along wonderfully! I can't wait to see the finished project.Thanks for the update. I love a little peak into daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ReneeOckrin - Dr. Joseph in Malone. And she was on the radar (I'd made a tentative appointment with her back in September), but at that point I was still feeling idealistic enough that I wanted someone with a low c/s rate and a high VBAC rate, neither of which describes her. That said, I got a VBAC with Dr. Lyons (!), so I realized a few weeks ago that if she was willing to work with me at all (and she is!), I probably have enough grit and determination to get the VBAC in the end. That's my hope anyway! Regina's encouraging me to try to get my hands on her standing orders in the next few weeks-- since OBs come in at the very end anyway, what really matters in a healthy delivery is making sure that the standing orders are reasonable. I can't imagine they'll be any worse than what I dealt with the last time around, anyway. :)@Girabbit - I don't like cream of wheat particularly, but I may give it a whirl anyway. My big challenge when feeling this exhausted and worn out is that most high-iron foods require a decent bit of preparation, which I have no energy for. If cream of wheat and oatmeal can be turned into high-iron/protein foods by adding milk and molasses, they're easy enough that I will learn to like them!@Newshoundfortruth - Yes, I know I have to be careful about where I get my liver from. I'm looking into whether or not the family I purchase our grass-fed beef & chicken from may have liver available to me. That would be perfect, since I know they're a good source!And while some people can get away with not having names ready, Daniel would never stand for it. :)  He holds the baby for about two seconds before he's asking me to finalize the name choice-- he can't stand waiting! And I love that he wants to give ALL the good news to family/friends at once.@Liz Boss - Love my cast iron for many reasons, and that's one of them! Now if I can just figure out how to make enough chili to feed my whole family in them, I'd be all set! (Finding a cast iron pot has been a challenge, but my mom got me some old cast iron at an auction about a year ago and I got rid of ALL my other pans after that! If you have any tips on where to find cast iron pots, let me know!)@michelleross - See my comment to Renee for info about the doc! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great! I know you will like her if you haven't already met her! She turned out to be the ONLY one who would do a circumcision for a homebirth! Regina gave me her name as an option to try once we realized no one around here would do it (which was really rather pathetic, and I was SO annoyed!) But she was like this angel after much searching and headache as the clock kept ticking by who was def pro-homebirth and couldn't understand either why no one here would do B's circ just bc it was one!  All that to say when I met her I immediately fell in love with her. Yes, maybe because she saved us an ordeal trip to Syracuse, but also her presence and personality were so uplifting/friendly/grounded and down to earth. I could just relate to her. She even came out in her jeans and tee and hair back in a pony tail when I first met her at the hospital before the procedure which just seemed more normal to me after having dealt with someone like Regina, ya know?! . I KNOW everything will work out for you! It's nice to put yourself in as good of hands as you can BUT just remember, the Lord is all over this one too!!! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you want some steak? we have quite a lot. and it's actually an easy 5 minute make if you have a stove top, oven, and a frying pan that can be put in an oven at 500.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ReneeOckrin - Yes, met her on Tuesday and really liked her! Like I said, her statistics aren't what I'd hoped for ideally, but her attitude/approach was SO down to earth and practical. She initially said, "So you're here about a VBAC? Tell me a little bit about each of your prior deliveries." When I told her the quick details on each one, she looked at me with a somewhat confused expression and then asked, "So what's the problem? I don't see why you're having ANY trouble finding someone to give you a VBAC."I felt like FINALLY someone somewhat nearby understood where I was coming from! (I'm not asking for the moon here; what I want is actually the SAFER option for me!)@louissa - Ummm... yes?! :)Even more than steak, though, I'm on the hunt for 2 interior doors. Do you guys still have extras kicking around that you'd be interested in getting rid of/selling? I hate the standard 6-panel options you get at places like Lowe's. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @brietta - what dimensions are you looking for? we do have some doors hangin' around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drink Liquid Chlorophyll to boost your iron. It can be found in the health food section at Martins. I love the baby basket. Our infants have always nested in a laundry basket so yours is much more stylish! 

    ReplyDelete